Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Ultracheap Trees

I don't know how I learned how to do this, but many years ago, I found I could easily make palm trees inexpensively out of ordinary printer paper. Then it was 1/72, now it's 1/32.

This isn't a step-by-step although if someone wants me to, I can do one. It's pretty straightforward.

I cut a strip off paper - wide enough that I can roll it a few times onto itself. I slather glue along one edge, flip it over and start rolling, then clue the last bit down again. To make the 'roots' i just make a few snips at the end i decide will be the base and fold them outwards (these won't be the roots you see in the end. Well they can be, and I used to, but I have a better way now). Leaf shapes are cut individually and their "stems" are twisted together and inserted into the end of the tube. Sometimes i snip along the edges to look more palm like, sometimes I don't.

The finished product. The tree is glued onto a base. Painters tape is wrapped around the trunk and base (in this case) - folds and bumps at the base are good - they form the roots. Then paint. The leaves are not permanently installed into the trunk, which allows me to replace them if the get damaged.

The blue color for the leaves (along with some purple) implies this tree is located in a Venusian environment.

They're quick and easy to make and I enjoy doing it, but then I like working with paper (I love cutting out paper miniatures for example). If you hate working with paper or the look of the end result, then clearly it's not for you.

I just have another dozen or two to make!

 

 

 

 

(and for the curious, those are The Golden Girls tiki shot glasses. I rarely have need of a shot glass, but I am a long time fan of The Golden Girls and am thrilled by their increasing popularity over the last 10 or so years and the availability of merchandise. The "Little People" toys are high on my Christmas list this year.)



6 comments:

  1. You had me at ‘cheap.’ A duffer’s ‘how to’ post would be welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people have spoken! I'm in the process of churning out quite a few so I will document my steps.

      Delete
  2. I would recognize that Venusian palm tree anywhere! Great job John, it looks great! My anticipation for your Venus game continues to grow, I can't wait! As for The Golden Girls, who doesn't love Rose, Dorothy, Blanche, and Sophia? One of my favorite shows too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! The only "problem" with the Venus game is that I have four factions I'm trying to prepare at once and I keep coming up with new things to add to each force. As for The Golden Girls, while I would hope to identify with Dorothy, whenever I take one of those "which Golden Girl are you?" quizzes, I get Rose. That probably gives you a pretty good sense of my personality outside of this blog!

      Delete
  3. Good lord! When you mentioned Golden Girls I thought What? Looked at the pic again and thought "Yup that's what he meant!". Couldn't help but smile in a good way.

    The trees look great, would not have suspected paper. Its usually unwise to trust me with scissors and glue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross! I'm sure someone could make these without getting glue all over themselves. That person is not me. Fortunately, I also get paint all over myself so the glue is hardly noticeable.

      Delete