Friday, November 5, 2021

Lizard Warriors Big and Small

One of the problems with relying on the internet for purchase decisions is that you are beholden to reviewers providing info that you need and your own ability to find said info. You would think that as a "librarian by training" (I have an MLS) I would be good at the latter, but not that is not necessarily so.

Case in point - I recently ordered and received a box of Wargames Atlantic 28mm "Lizard Men". The reviews I found talked about how well they fit with this or that figure. What I failed to grasp  or determine was that without specifying an exact size dimension and not possessing those comparison figures, I was left guessing if they would mix well with Reaper lizard warriors:



If by "mix well" I meant "could be their children" then I suppose they do indeed. However, as that is not what I meant, I'm at a bit of a loss. B, the person who I will be playing Venusian based games with in-person, suggested they might be skinks (Games Workshop makes skinks for their lizard forces that are notably smaller than then regular lizards). This is an option.

We're now looking at using the big battle version of Fistful of Lead (it has edged out G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. for now), I could make a larger than normal unit and give them some penalties for their small size. 

In any case, they are definitely not going to be the majority of my lizard troops as I was planning. Instead, I picked up a few more Reaper lizard men to top off my existing figures at a full unit, plus command and some archers for the howdah on the triceratops. I still have plenty of other unit ideas for this force.

 By far the best inexpensive-ish 54mm lizard warrior choice is the SCS Direct figure (available on eBay and Amazon):



I get the feeling the number of lizard warriors you get per box of creatures varies. There were six in my box and that means another box is needed eventually unless I can find them in job lots on eBay. 

They are a soft plastic - more rubbery than not, in my opinion. I coated this one with Modge Podge before hitting it with the black acrylic. It scales well with the Armies in Plastic French Legionnaire. The lack of pose variety (just one) might seem damning but they are hackable if that's your thing. If I get extras I may try to do some customization, but for now they'll stay as is. 

Finally, I have from time to time seen on various blogs, people posting a beverage they enjoyed while gaming or painting. So here is mine:

 

I am a sucker for new flavors of soda. Being this is Mtn Dew, I didn't go in with high hopes. And therefore I was not disappointed. It was in fact, not bad. It was so not bad, that I'd drink it again. It's not so good that I'd hoard bottles before it's discontinued.

It most definitely, and disturbingly, tastes like gingersnap cookies.

4 comments:

  1. The SCS lizard warrior does look good with the AIP legionnaire! I like the idea of skinks, they could be rated quicker and more agile than the bigger lizards. My favorite cookie at Christmas is gingerbread, but definitely not in Mountain Dew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent ideas for the skinks. We switched to Fistful of Lead which has loads of defined characteristics. One is called "small" which makes sense - I'll have to give them a negative trait to get them a second good one, but agile and quick are both options that make it worth it!
      I can't believe I'm saying this but I want another bottle of this gingerbread Mtn Dew. I don't know if the lousy weather made it taste OK (like Chrismas in soda form) or if it is actually decent.

      Delete
  2. The SCS Direct figure looks the part, though a range of monster heights wouldn't bother me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Maudlin Jack. The Reaper 28mm will fill the role of "pygmy lizard folk". I had hoped for the Wargames Atlantic to fill their ranks, but alas, they'll just be skinks or some sort. Nice thing about the WA box is it comes with some crazy sci-fi heads (lizard men in gas masks!) and futuristic weapons, so I am going to build a squad of those and accidentally start another genre :D

      Delete