Saturday, January 1, 2022

Goodbye 2021 and Hello 2022!

Happy New Year, one and all!

2021 saw a lot more painting than I have done in many years - in part due to finally kicking off the WWI Southern Front painting and in part due to starting preparation for the who-could-have-predicted VSF Venusian campaign. 

The former went from 0 to about 40 figures and the latter a more modest 0 to 20 figures.

One of my goals for 2021 was to finish the white coated Russians for my colonial collection. I did so, and that collection is essentially complete as far as I am concerned. It was a small project that started in June of 2017 as a possible VSF project before morphing into a "What if?" collection for The Great Game.

That final transformation was solidified by my finishing listening to  The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia early in 2021.

A photo from "The Khan's Gambit", posted March 1, 2021

I managed to play a good many games last year, including my Fictional Citadel campaign which spanned four real world months and 10 games. All of those were played out using Bob Cordery's The Portable Wargame

photo from "Fictional Citadel : July 6, 1943 PanGermania clashes with the 3rd Soviet Guard Rifle Division", posted September 3, 2021

 Other miniature rules played this year included Panzer Kids Deluxe, Trench Hammer, Crossfire (finally!), Disposable Hero/Coffin for Seven Brothers, One Hour Skirmish Wargames, One Hour Wargames, Fistful of Lead : Bigger Battles, GASLIGHT, VSF Fubar, and Wings of Glory WWI.

I am clearly not a slave to any one publisher's games!

A photo from "Somewhere in France, 1944 - Panzer Kids!"  posted March 14, 2021

I had a goal to play one board game a month in 2021, and while that did not happen, I did play far more than previous years.

Games included several Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1 scenarios (some more than once), Long Range Desert Group, Pavlov's House (played 3 or 4 times), Enemy Coast Ahead : The Doolittle Raid, and Battle for Moscow (easily played half a dozen times if not more).

Discovering Vassal at the end of the year allowed me to sneak in a late ASLSK game and gave hope that I might play Burning Mountains in 2022.

A photo from "Three Solo Boardgames", posted August 6, 2021

On the blog, I posted 83 times. That's not my highest but felt like a comfortable amount, given everything else in life. Indeed, in 2022, I plan to dial that back a little.

So, speaking of 2022...

My primary goals for the year: 

  • Play 1 toy soldiers game per month
  • Play 1 board game per month (not even a wargame necessarily)
  • Get at least one Venusian force with options ready for the table
  • Bring each WWI force up to three "companies" (H.M.G. suggests 8 figure Bersaglieri and 9 figure Austrian) and 2 MG bases.
Odds are high that Venusian force that gets kitted out first is the lizard folk.

Finally, as mentioned, I will try to post a tiny bit less here. 

There are two reasons. 

The first is that I try to comment on different blogs weekly but, when I have to use my time to write a post, it reduces how much time I have to read and respond to posts by other bloggers. Less writing of my own posts, the more time I can read and respond to other posts. To me that is an essential part of being a member of this community and I want to do it more.
 
The second reason is that I am making a push to expand my guitar teaching this year and that takes up what would be hobby time. Less hobby time, less activity to write about.
 
And so, without further ado,  Happy 2022! (or at least Not Terrible 2022!)


9 comments:

  1. Best wishes for 2022 John, for you and your family! I hope that you accomplish your goals and enjoy life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! And best wishes to you and yours as well!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your posts this New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the same about your posts!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a pretty good year hobby wise. Here's to a good 2022 all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am especially looking forward to the Venusians. it occurs to me that lizard men type aliens could be made by using heads from small dinosaurs transplanted on human bodies, maybe red Indians or 19th century troops, depending on style wanted. Tails could also be transplanted or made from wire and putty or masking tape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a very workable idea! I may have to make a trip to the dollar store soon.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year, John! I really did not do much hobby activity over the past two years--due to depression, probably--but the engine is beginning to turn over again.

    We did all experience quite a change at the end of October which will continue into the new year: after waiting more than a year, we adopted an Aussiedoodle puppy (Australian sheep-herder crossed with a poodle). He's extremely intelligent (maybe too much for his own good?), and incredibly high-energy. Sort of an Energizer Puppy. We lost our Schnoodle about the same time you lost your cat, and at first did not want to replace him. But we really felt a hole in our lives, and decided to adopt. The main difference for me: I was 56 when we got our previous puppy. Now I'm 71. Nuff said.

    Best regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete