Monday, January 17, 2022

Take the High Ground!

 Late Saturday night, I came up with an idea for simple set of rules that I wanted to try out. Having long wanted to put one of Stuart Asquith's scenarios from Guide to Solo Wargaming on the table, I flipped through that volume and chose Take the Highground (Hence the title of this post).

It was "snowy" Sunday (a rarity in Atlanta but there was no accumulation - thankfully. People down here do not understand how to drive in snow of any amount) and seemed like the perfect day for tea and a wargame. I dutifully laid out the table for the first figure game of 2022 and set about trying my rules. 

Meh.

While not a terrible game, it seemed edge cases and questions arose on nearly every turn. This greatly slowed the pace and enjoyment of what was supposed to be a faster playing game.

On the plus side, the idea seems solid to me (more details in a future post), but there is much tweaking to do, if I choose to pursue the idea, including figuring out exactly what I'm after, as these were rules about the mechanism and not about the result I want. A poor design approach, clearly.

The game did have some good moments, like this. The Soviet T-34 had been knocked out, and the ZiS-3 and Panzer IV engaged in a duel that the plucky gun crew won.

Feeling unsatisfied, I set up the table again. I started to play straight rules-as-written Morschauser's modern rules, but the lack of reaction fire wasn't squaring with me. This is the problem with having opinions about the period. I think had I just called the "trays" (Morschauser's term) platoons in my head, then I wouldn't have cared, but I was thinking the trays were squads this time and I can't imagine squads not firing in reaction.

So, I threw together some tweaks - my usual for cover, strength points, plus added a reaction fire option, added leaders (Platoon and Company in this case), morale (stolen from Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit), and Pinned and Paralyzed states. It sounds like a lot, but they very simple add-ons and were not so much complication as a little more flavor.

I probably take this picture every game these figures are in.

Mortar unit moves up behind woods - Morschauser has no mortars, but they are easily added. I added a rule on the fly that the Platoon Leader could spot for them.

The Soviets advance as seen from the German side of the table. Morschauser has no cover rules - so as I always do wth my Morschuaser modern variants, I used 4/6 hit in open, 6 only if target in cover. MGs are 2/4/6 in open, 4/6 if target in cover.

One of my favorite features of Morschauser is that infantry anti-tank grenades are accounted for (and as they appear in nearly every Soviet and Russian WWII movie I have watched, they are pretty common at least in cinema). Here the Soviet rifle units assault the Panzer IV. The other favorite rule from Morschauser - the tank overrunning the infantry - came into play a moment, after this unsuccessful attack.

The German position consolidates around the right hill. The T-34 has been paralyzed by a hit from the Panzer IV - they'll need a morale check with the aid of the commander next turn. The ZiS couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Not pictured - another Soviet rifle group charges the German armor, hits it with AT grenades and destroys it. A moment later the Soviet rifles on the right took out one of the German rifle units. With a shell of a force, the German leader ordered the remaining troops to fall back. 

Much better.  It had the right feel of toy soldiers "plus".  That is, just a little extra to feel more period representative to my mind. And by period, like history learned from war movies.

The only thing I might change is the way damage works for armor when the trays are squads. In this case, the tank is likely one tank. Because I don't use Morschauser's attack with d6 per strength but instead roll 1d6 for the tray (as if there were no strength points) which deals at most 1 point of damage. So, a tank can never be destroyed in one round of combat - which doesn't feel right.  

Featherstone's method from War Games could be the basis for the new approach. It allows for a range of results, from nothing, to forced back, to destroyed. I'll play with it a bit - maybe turn one of the force back results into a loss of 1 strength point.

When it represents two or three tanks, then I think wearing away the unit makes more sense and no change is needed.

In any case, the itch was scratched, and I got to spend some time pushing toy soldiers around and rolling dice, while staying warm,

9 comments:

  1. Interesting in what you say about setting the scene about the size of units and how that can change your view, or satisfaction, with the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is an issue whenever I have opinions about the period, based on even the most minimal research on my part and what other rules have conditioned me to expect. I sometimes wish I could just see figures as some kind of ambiguous unit. Then again, I think there's something to be said for rules that are intended to model combat at a particular level, even if they are ultimately abstractions.

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed seeing your game. Looking forward to reading more…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great adaptations John to make the game work the way you want it to! That Russian artillery crew looks great, especially the one with the quilted jacket, who made those figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And the gun and crew are an Italeri set (modeled in 1/32 even). I believe it's out of production now, but I still see it come up on eBay (usually overpriced imho).

      Delete
  4. Great fun, John!
    I agree, that the higher the level the more "attriting" the combat mechanics should be. In a skirmish game like OHSW, there's a wide variety of things that can happen since each unit is one man or vic. In a higher level of combat, units that are squads, troops, platoons, etc, rarely should vaporize and intertia should make for units that attrit slower and have more "in-between" results.

    Happy gaming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am hoping to test the Featherstone method for attacks vs vehicles this weekend. I suspect it will work well,despite being a different method of resolution.Since I really only have to please myself, it's a pretty low bar for success!

      Delete
  5. Nice to see the figures on the table. I have no problem seeing similar situations/units in your photos, they still give us a view of that game, and help us to complete our own projects.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a pleasant way to start off the year's gaming.

      Delete