Thursday, May 5, 2022

Mon dieu!

Somehow, I seem to have gotten back into a rhythm of painting regularly - although I probably just jinxed myself. In any case, over the past week I knocked out three Armies in Plastic French Foreign Legion figures.


I believe I have mentioned before how the first "period" that I fielded any sizeable quantity of figures for was Victorian Science Fiction. That collection (in 15mm) began with Foreign Legion and lizard warrior figures - much like my current VSF collection in 54mm. 

I chose the Legion in large part due to the description of Camerone over on The Junior General site. A mention on some site or other about the French Foreign Legion fighting lizardmen on Venus and I was in. Always a fan of the Lizard from Spiderman (the Mego figure was one of my favorite toys as a kid) and later, D&D lizardmen (the drawing in the 1e Monster Manual is perfect), it was an easy concept to buy into.

As they say, everything old is new again - only now I'm doing it in the scale I wanted to do it in back then but thought it wasn't "proper" wargaming based on blogs and TMP. I didn't start wargaming until my 30s and even so, prevailing ideas about gaming with 54mm figures steered me to the smaller scales (I don't dislike those scales, but, with the exception of 6mm and smaller, I am not enamored with them either, unlike 54mm). 

Rambling aside, below is completed 10-figure unit:

For expediency's sake, I plan to paint up another batch of three to serve as a gun crew while borrowing the Gatling gun from my British force for now. I had intended for that to be the entirety of the force, save for an overall leader/hero type, however, it occurred to me that I could paint the crew with red trousers, and when ten total figures are done that way, I'll have a second and visually distinct unit. So that is the overarching plan at that is point.

On the paint table now are four 28mm Reaper lizard archers and a drummer. This will be the howdah crew for a triceratops. Some WWI figures might jump ahead in line - they paint quickly but prepping them takes a bit.



6 comments:

  1. Very nicely done, John. I can see a wide range of scenarios. I've quite enjoyed raising late 19th century 54mm French, from various makes. They are an interesting imaginary opposition to my British Empire army, and American (post civil war) army. But that really is a fine job you have done there!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! Mine may well face off against my British and imperial Russian forces eventually. However, that requires some acquisition (chiefly, cavalry and their own Gatling or similar).

      Delete
  2. Excellent painting John! AIP figures offer great value and look great when well-painted, nice job! They will really match well with your lizard warriors too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! I hope to get in a small game with just these 10 and some dinos and lizard warriors soon - perhaps this weekend if I am lucky.

      Delete
  3. They look great John, I nearly bought some AIP FFL a couple of years back when Transport models were having a closing down sale but I couldn't justify spending the money at the time.
    The red strides for the next unit is a good idea too, I look forward to seeing them done.

    ReplyDelete