Monday, May 2, 2022

Orange You Glad I Didn't Say 'Banana'?

Finishing out April and kicking off May, I finished two 'not Carthaginians' (Tanitians in my world(s) - named after the Punic goddess Tanit). I say finished because I started these early in the year but it takes many, many, MANY coats of orange to actually cover the base coat. I have tried black, grey, and, with this pair, raw Sienna. Next time, white.

The black-lining is done with architecture pens and takes considerably less time,especially since I learned the trick of varnishing the figure before black-lining (then again after).

The figure on the left is by HaT. The figure on the right is by Classic Toy Soldiers. They scale well together and the CTS figure is the only plastic Carthaginian leader figure I am aware of.

The shield designs are simple - they have to be because I am hand- painting and do not have great brush control! The leader has the well-known symbol of Chaos, while the hoplite has a design inspired by one found when searching for 'Eldritch symbols' online. Despite being named for Tanit, the Tanitians tend to worship, or at least interact with, a fair number of entities best described as cosmic horrors.

Indeed, it is rumored there may be a portal to Carocosa and to the court of the famed King in Yellow in one of the Tanitian temples. Who's to say?

Any individual figure does not bear close scrutiny, but at wargame distance and en masse (as much as seven counts as a mass), they capture the look of what I imagined when I conceived of this idea (albeit in a shade of orange not at all like the one I sought. I gave up after awhile and just went with one I found pleasing to my eye).

In the following overexposed picture, you can witness a 'rumble in the jungle' of sorts as Tanitians and a force of lizard warriors collide in a clearing.

Another 3 to 5 figures are required to fill out the unit for Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles or for use with G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., etc. However as they are now, I can field them in smaller games like Fistful of Lead, particularly as I purchased the Might & Melee rule book awhile back.

Currently on the paint table are three Armies in Plastic French Foreign Legionnaires to finish up a 10-figure unit of those.

4 comments:

  1. They are really striking, I like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! I'm hopeful that a white base coat will make the painting a little faster. There seriously must be 10 coats of orange on these to hide the base color. Or maybe I should just cover them in PVA and no base coat?

      Delete
  2. A wonderful unit John, they have a very classical look to them! Your shields and black-lining are excellent and they work perfectly with the lizard warriors! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad! I do like how the two forces look together. Crossing my fingers I can field complete forces for both before the year is out!

      Delete