Sunday, May 22, 2022

Operation Hasty : Game 1

Corporal May took a look at his map. "There's a farmhouse on the other side of this ridge. Eddie, Atkinson, 'Stain', you're with me. Whiteford, take Saunders, Cross, and 'Lucky' around the base of the hill. I want the Bren covering the road and the farmhouse in case someone's home and isn't glad for the company." 

These paratroopers were among those chosen cause havoc for the Germans and prevent them from destroying infrastructure as they pulled back from Sora to Avezzano and that part of the Gothic Line. It had been christened by the higher-ups as 'Operation Hasty', wich didn't fill May, Whiteford, or any of the others with a lot of confidence.

"Yes, Corporal! Alright you lot, let's move!"  That was Lt. Corporal Frank Whiteford, the second in command for this squad. He had been in it since Dunkirk, and with May since the Moro River. He knew May could smell trouble a mile away.

Of course, May often was the one causing trouble.

A boxer before the war, he was always ready for a scrap in and out of the ring - and always willing to get one started if no one was forthcoming. In war, he learned not only was he good at knocking men out, but he was good at leading them, too.


As May and his team moved down the hill to the edge of the woods, they spotted a German patrol moving up along the farmhouse.

There are two blinds on the board - one in the field, one in the house. Rather than using the Nuts! patrol scenario and PEFs, I used the patrol scenario and forces from Platoon Forward. There are two blinds, one of which is the real patrol, and the patrol will consist of several blinds as well which have to be resolved.

"Looks like the welcoming committee is already here. Let them have it!" May's Sten was already spitting lead before he finished his command, bringing down the German squad's LMG team.


Another German was dropped by rifle fire and then Whiteford's team opened fire as they came around the hill, to terrible effect. 


The few Jerries who had survived the attack fell back behind the house.

Gott im Himmel!

Celebrations were cut short by the sputtering of bullets from a window of the farmhouse. 


"Spandau!"shouted Whiteford, as he was knocked to the ground. Lucky opened fire with his Bren - killing the gunner and leaving the loader scrambling.

From their left, alongside the farmhouse another LMG team appeared and again Lucky's Bren made quick work of them.

A kubelwagen raced up the road to provide cover for the badly mauled German patrol which was trying to withdraw. With its mounted MG-42 it opened fire and wounded Lucky, but Saunders caught the worst of it. 

Under a hail of lead, Whiteford scrambled, grabbed Lucky and Saunders and dragged them into cover behind the hill.

Meanwhile, the MG-42 in the house had repositioned and prepared to open fire on May's team on the hill. The trunk of the tree to his left exploded in splinters and May hit the dirt. Dragging Stainton who had caught one in the arm, he slipped back into the shadows of the trees.


The firefight ended as quickly as it started. The Germans withdrew- unaware that they had come against a single squad - as Cpl. May led his men to temporary safety deeper into the woods. 

Stain and Lucky would be OK and could keep going, but Saunders, on the other hand, was in bad shape.

"What do we do, Corporal?"
 
*****
  • Rules used: Nuts! Final Edition
  • Platoon Forward generated the German patrol - it was far better equipped than I had expected. I was OK with that given the historical situation.
  • I used the Nuts! non-player force movement and such. The decision to withdraw was made immediately after first contact (by the Nuts! table for that). I figured that since the other blinds were in position, they would provide cover for the withdrawal - hence the tripod MG, the extra LMG team, and the kubelwagen getting some action before ending the game. 

15 comments:

  1. Great report John - NUTS! is a THW game ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maudlin Jack! Yes, they are the Two Hour Wargames WWII rules. I use "Final Edition" which came out a good few years ago. It turns out they ended up not being the final edition though, and the current version is 4th edition which I haven't seen, but what ain't broke, don't fix! For whatever reason, I grokked Final Edition better than 2nd edition which I also have.

      Delete
  2. Good story John. Very nicely done with a handful of figures from your collection, and interesting terrain. Great stuff.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! That's the goal of this little project: a handful of figures, and a small but interesting table and scenario.

      Delete
  3. By gum, I like this, it is like a "Commando" comic in wargame form. You have me interested, I must check out "NUTS!", if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! All of that "research" reading Commando paid off. I wish I had found Commando comics sooner - i have a pile of them in my shopping cart on eBay now for when funds appear. Nuts! is on 4th edition currently - apparently some people wanted it to be more like newer Two Hour Wargames titles. From what i read on the THW forums, I'll stick with Final Edition. You can pick up a set of their rules free to see if they work for you (https://www.twohourwargames.com/free.html). They are definitely a "you have to try them not just read them" set of rules though.

      Delete
    2. Thanks John, I downloaded the free rules from your link.

      Delete
  4. Excellent dispatch John! Everything looks great and a very exciting action indeed! I especially like picture #2, the shadows give the scene a very eerie feel for what is about to happen! The Deetail Kubelwagen and your ruined building really add a great deal to the battle! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! I admit I look for every opportunity to get the Deetail kubelwagen on the table that I can (I have two of them. I just love them - I can only imagine how much joy they would have brought a child lucky enough to get one.)

      Delete
  5. Paras are looking good - and I’m much impressed by your Britains Kubel with all it’s bits still in place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can take no credit for the kubelwagen - it was an eBay acquisition several years back. Every once in awhile they turn up in good condition at a reasonable price. I have to stop myself from buying them - i think they are just objects in and of themselves (something about them just makes me happy), never mind the wargaming use. But the two i have are plenty for my needs.

      Delete
  6. Interesting game, and the narrative was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! I immersed myself in Commando comics as preparation for this game.

      Delete
  7. Love the narrative report,and Italian theater to boot! Always fun to mesh different rule sets for generation vs playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reese! As fun as it is to game with others, one of the joys of solo gaming is the freedom to pick and choose the bits I want to use without having to satisfy anyone but myself.

      Delete