Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Starting with Earth and Campaign Thoughts

Warning: a lot of  prose ahead,and not so much eye-candy

"Start with Earth" is a Ken Hite game-design mantra.

And it makes sense really, because its easier to get players to have a connection with the setting they are familiar with - places, history, people, are instantly meaningful without requiring reading fluff or novels or what have you (like, say, Forgotten Realms).  So, you start with what they know, and then add the fantastic elements.

Now, as a solo gamer, I don't have this problem of a lack of familiarity - I make up everything and I'm the only one who has to buy into it. 

Except, it takes a lot to build an entire world. Case in point, Venus. 

I mean, sure, Venus is an actual planet, but actual Venus and Victorian Science Fiction (VSF) Venus are two vastly different things.

And what I've been finding is, I'm having trouble reconciling my desire for different kinds of games with the need to develop histories not only of the native populations, but also the history of Earthlings on Venus. Space: 1889 has done this for gamers, and I like it, but it doesn't really line up with my conception of what I want at this point. Not least of which is how Earthlings get there. 

Of course, I can change the bits that don't suit me, but each change brings about more questions that I feel compelled to answer. It's more than just filing off serial numbers - and i get to a point where I am basically starting from scratch.

So, I went digging through various forums online for ideas (primarily about Venus, but  also about VSF settings generally) and it hit me:

Antarctica

Antarctica is extremely interesting for a whole variety of reasons, not least of which is that it remains basically unknown until 1897. Its existence had been posited,but no one had even seen it until then. So, IRL, at the time my intended campaign is set, the 1880s-ish, it's still an unknown, as subject to the imagination as Venus or Mars. 

Why not then shed the shackles of creating an entire world, and simply modify this one? That is, start with Earth?

So indeed that is my plan. 

My apologies to those who were looking forward to a campaign on Venus. That said, it will look exactly the same. [Also, I reserve the right to do a Space: 1889 game, as written in the future]

East Antarctica (I just learned there is an East and West Antarctica) will feature a sunken "lost world". 

Lost world gaming was some of my very first wargaming.  

I had found Adventures in Jimland (as I had no suitable figures at the time, i made my own cardstock top-down counters - I still have them) online and was immediately taken by the diary-style game write-ups. Lost worlds are also the basis for some of my favorite adventure fiction (King Solomon's Mines, The Lost World, Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc).

So, I am partial to the concept. 

Because of its location, Antarctica is not easily exploited (in real-life or in my planned gaming). In game terms, that means the European build up has been slow- indeed other then some forts, that's about it. It's still an age of exploration  and thus hunters and scientists and cartographers may make trips into the wilds as often as military patrols. 

And, getting to the valley(a deceiving name for something so massive) can be an adventure in itself.

Huge Tracts of Land

Now, Antarctica is HUGE. I mean really huge. 

It's the 5th largest continent. It's twice the size of Australia. You can fit the entire USA in there and still have extra room. This will be relevant in a minute.

Although I don't intend for a map campaign, with maybe the exception of some mapping expeditions, I wanted a map so I would at least have a consistent relative sense of where things are. 

I found a half dozen suitable drawings of Antarctica (While a plain line drawing would seem ideal, I needed them to have some landmarks on them so I could place my lost valley where I wanted it - like I wanted the South Pole to remain an icy location, and not in the valley, and the Transantarctic Mountains to be left alone sine they will probably be the Mountains of Madness, etc.)

I imported one of them into Google Draw and made a an outline of the valley. It looked nice but I had no idea of the scale. So I found a map with a scale included and made some hexes in the appropriate size and tried again. 

Wow.

The valley was way bigger than I wanted - you could fit several European states within and still have room for unclaimed areas. Now, while I don't intend to have the Europeans fight each other initially, I'd like the option of them at least finding each other eventually!

So, I shrank things down .

Here, with labels for the factions, some inland seas and some mountains (which I may move around a bit more) is what I am calling call the Minimum Viable Product:



Each hex is approximately 250 miles across point to point. The hexes allow me to map in more detail if I choose to, say five 50-mile hexes per 250-mile hex, ten 5-mile hexes per 50-mile hex, and five 1-mile hexes per - mile hex.

However,  I think on the whole it looks nicer without the hexes. Nothing to write home about mind you, but I can tell where the factions are likely to be encountered, which helps support narrative consistency.

The yellow squares are European forts/base camps. I tried to set it up so each European faction would face a more than one native contingent, and the battles would differ from each other by the makeup of the various forces. There's also plenty of room for future powers to join if I should choose to paint them (Germans and Italians are possible given the extra figures I have),

The Russians, who have an abundance of cavalry, will initially encounter Solis Nox (the medieval figures) , who also have an abundance of cavalry. Later, Res Publica will enter the picture when they are done - and they are largely melee focused.

The British will encounter Solis Nox and Tanitia. As with the Russians, they too will eventually encounter Res Publica eventually. The British are a fairly balanced force. Solis Nox, I have mentioned already,  Tanitia is primarily melee with little to no range support, but they do have casters and that terrifying Abyssal Beast.

The French will encounter the Bokrug Confederacy (lizards) and Tanitia. The French are entirely foot infantry at this point, while the Confederacy offers a solid mix of units, including a magic-wielding shaman and dinosaurs.

The Country

It is probably clear (although it wasn't to me until recently) that what I'm designing is a setting, not properly a campaign, despite having called it "the Venus campaign" for ages now, or, of late, "the Antarctica campaign" (at least in my head if not on screen).

Like Wells's "the country", it is a place to fight in and over. It is a campaign only in as much as all of the games that will take place in the setting contribute to some overall understanding of the lost world.

It is more like Greyhawk than, say, the 1916 Strafexpedition.

It is an imagi-nation, in some ways, a true Fantasy setting in others.

In any case, there is no objective, there is no winning, only a land to explore and a history to write.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds really good John! I too love "The Lost World" setting! I had one game published in Plastic Warrior Magazine that had Victorian British infantry fighting dinosaurs and cavemen and it was a great deal of fun! Your map is excellent and will serve as a great basis for your different adventures! I look forward to its fruition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad! I'm very curious now about your game! What issue was it? I see back issues available on eBay. Sadly, the PW website is kind of sparse.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your interest John! It was issue #104 which is available on eBay. My favorite issue is #82 where I made the cover with my article: "The Battle of the Blue & Grey, AD 3000!" It was a sci-fi game and that one is available on eBay too.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like one of those massive projects that offers all kinds of variety, not only of disparate Colonial powers bent on conquest, but all sorts of shifting alliances in which the colonists or indigenes co-opt the aid of indigenes or colonists to defeat or drive off the foe...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the hope, Ion! Something that I can return to again and again and enjoy a bit of depth beyond the tabletop encounters.

      Delete
  3. A VSF Antarctica Campaign is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maudlin Jack! I'm definitely excited about it!

      Delete
  4. I remember the time spent trying to imagine/design Atlantica the setting for the warring states of Faraway and Oberhilse (yes, "the Queen commands and we obey, over the hills"...etc. Let it never be said that I have a large supply of imagination!) . Had to be bigger than an island but small enough to have vanished like Atlantis or at least Krakatora, without appearing on any maps, so I eventually set it in the vastness of the South Atlantic closer to Antarctica than to any inhabited place but obviously with a warm current which must have disappeared with it!

    Even had work started on a back story for its discovery in the 16thC but I ran out of imagination and settled for "Once upon a time, in a land far far away" like any good legend or fairy tale.
    But don't let my failure discourage you! It was "time well wasted" as 'they' say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I didn't think to start with "Once upon a time ..." That would have saved me so much struggle! Indeed though, it is time well wasted. I find it as enjoyable as actually getting to the tabletop, only I can do it whenever and wherever I am.

      I once had island of my own making (Helvetica, in the Sans Serif island chain) where Sauvignon-Blanc battled with the forces of Riesling for control of the island - lizard folk played a part there, too,albeit in 15mm) but wanted something different this time, yet still limited in geographic scope the way an island would be. I may have been overthinking this!

      Delete
  5. My own fantasy world is with land masses completely different to 'our' Earth. The civilizations, however, are loosely based on historical ones.

    I have been organizing campaigns for it since 2014. Rather than immediately creating the whole world I have focused on a few countries with two, and then three, representing the players (myself - with Beerstein - and Mat, who has two countries - Bogavania and Fez).

    In the early campaigns Fezia intervened briefly as a separate force. In later campaigns as Mat lost much of Bogavania territory Fezia became the senior and permanent ally.
    However, we also had invasions of Beerstein by Fritzerland and of Fezia by Patra. As we two are the only layers we take over our opponent's enemies if they enter into battle.
    The tentative premise behind all this is that aliens abducted hundreds of thousands of Earthlings and put them on another Earth-like planet but with the trapping of their societies intact.
    I am anticipating the civilizations advancing in military technology and with a possible future overseas colonial grab. The new lands will be unknown at first and only on exploration will their true nature be revealed. The advantage is that I can keep recycling figures from any era because the new lands can be of any level below or equivalent to our own nations.
    We include wizards, dragons and the occasional dinosaur. We can also include other mythical and fantasy creatures as necessary. Giants could be especially lethal to castle gates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have read many of your battle reports, I never realized the premise behind it. It's great! Normally when I run RPG campaigns I start very small, but for some reason, once I said "Venus" I found myself thinking about how the whole planet would look and work. A valley is easier for me at this point, but perhaps a full planet, with a small starting region will be an effort to take in the future.

      I hadn't intended it, but I've started thinking about how the world beyond the valley may attempt to interact with it - say in WWI (an ANZAC troop ship running of course, and a private who remembers a story his great grandfather told him about the valley and its location) or WWII (small bands of commandos and the like, perhaps Hitler really wants a T-Rex and the Allies send teams to stop the Germans).

      If this setting provides me half as many tabletop encounters as you've gotten from yours, I'll consider it a success!

      Delete