Thursday, June 29, 2023

Italian Tankette Rolls Off Production Line

Thank you for everyone who commented on my injury post. Whether it was to well-wish, commiserate, offer levity or sympathy, it was all appreciated.

To further cheer me up, my plastic building brick (not Lego)  Italian L3/CV33 arrived.

It comes in around 180 pieces and looks pretty cute if I do say so myself.

Cute may not be how you want your armored fighting vehicle described, but well, I mean, it's cute!

Even the real ones aren't imposing. I suppose if one was coming towards me, guns blazing, I'd feel differently.

Then again, it'd probably break down and I'd be fine. They didn't have the best record in the war.

Back to the model.

The hatch works, so I can plop a mini-figure inside if desired (this model cost $13.99 USD. I can see buying two more eventually, for a platoon/company/battalion and putting a commander in one. That's still less than what it cost me to buy a single 1/50 resin T-34, and there's no painting required)

The treads are each assembled from 29 individual pieces. Assembly was made complicated by those pieces being 1) tiny and 2) lacking the use of my index finger on my left hand. The rest of the model went together with little difficulty.

Even with name brand Lego models, rough handling, say the kind anyone under 12 might do, will result in parts coming off. That said, despite being knock-off bricks, everything is fairly tight - almost too tight in some cases, and I had to really force the pieces together -  and so far nothing has come off, even when wrestling the hatch open and closed with my clumsy fingers. 

The treads did separate when I tried to roll it across the carpet. I just wanted to see if the gears "worked" or was all display. I won't do that again!

This kit finished off my initial Brick War 2 build-up. 

There's more to come in this arms race, but there's no rush. My bank account thanks me.

In the meantime, I've got three hastati in progress on the paint table, three Blitz Bowl Reavers in progress, and some French Foreign Legion ready for prep and priming. Plus, working on ideas for VSF Lost World/Antarctica campaigning and building/assembling a mega-dungeon of sorts because my son has asked me to create and run one for him!

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing more cheerful than an Italian tankette John! It is kind of the kitten, puppy, or teddy bear of the tank world! Once you've had one, you have to have more, just like potato chips! I've got them in many different scales and I always enjoy using them in my games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! I want at least three! And funnily enough, I started thinking about getting some in 6mm for some larger armor battles.

      Delete