Tuesday, June 13, 2023

A New Project or Un Nouveau Projet : Brick by Brick

As Sinatra sang, "I did it my way."

Or rather I will be.

While having a clear out recently, I admitted to myself that I was never going to get around to painting (or finishing in the case of one squad) the Warlord Games 28mm French WW2 force I had acquired,, let alone acquire and paint an opposing Italian force (for the very short Italian invasion of France, which was Mussolini's attempt at a land grab to gain a seat at the negotiating table post-victory).

Those figures are moving on.

However, it *is* a project that has interested me for some time. 

The possibility of playing a "what-if" campaign, where France holds out against the Axis stirs my imagination. This is the same reason I will not part with my 1/72 PTO collection - invading imaginary South Pacific islands allows me to campaign (you know, when I get to it) without feeling too constrained by history. 

And despite letting go of a lot of gaming-related stuff (a LOT), I still have the desire to do something wargame related with Lego / Lego-clone figures.

The two ideas collided while I was searching for Lego minifigures for Halloween's game last year, but I let it go (because I had the Warlord figures at the time). Also, the price.

Well, I stumbled on a good deal on Etsy, last week, and so, this arrived Monday:

 

The two guns are of questionable historical accuracy but they will suffice. The figures came with extra heads -bandaged/wounded or just different expressions - which will be useful too, to give the figures variety.

16 French infantry with Adrian-type helmets in uniform colors suitable for WWII (they aren't all the same, which is a shame,but I'm not going to complain and I think they are somewhat close to accurate in the amalgam). Besides I can group them into units by color and easily tell one from another.).

The figures need minor assembly. There's always a risk you'll end up short an arm or a hand. Then again, there's always a chance you'll end up with extras too.

Infantry-wise, this is almost all I need for the French for my current plans - 3 to 4 figures on a base can be a squad or a company, a group of 5 individually-based figures can be a squad,. And thus this bunch could be a platoon. You get the idea. Re-basing Lego figures is easy-peasy.

Four uniform styles. Two helmet variations. I need to pick up a weapons pack - I've seen some that include a gun that could pass as an FM 24/29.
 

Cobi makes a suitable brick Renault FT-17 which will make a good Christmas present to myself when the time comes. 

I have a "building brick" Italian CV33 on order from eBay (I believe it's  Chinese brick clone) and I'll be receiving a set of 5 Italian infantry for Father's Day (oddly, I just realized that my son's mom and I exchange gifts to celebrate, but he doesn't even give either of us so much as a card!)

Fistful of Lead works with just 5 figures, and One Hour Skirmish Wargames, does too (although you end up being able to do more double and triple moves), and so I'll be able to play from the get-go once the Italians get here, no painting required! 

 (I play with toy soldiers because I like the toys and I like the stories the games produce. I do not particularly enjoy painting - it's a means to an end)

Lego figures look fine on regular wargame tables, but I have a ton of greenery from the games I've run for our family fall festival and I can raid my son's excessive collection of bricks to make other scenic items. So I may mix it up and do full Lego games or just use the figures with my usual terrain depending on mood.

It's not an entirely super serious project- it's Lego/clones after all, but that's the best part about solo-gaming - you only have to please yourself.

8 comments:

  1. Never forget that HG Wells played his wargames with factory painted toys, right off the shelf with toy bricks and bits of wood on a cork floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your infantry look great John! I looked up the Cobi tank and the CV33 on eBay and they are sweet! I didn't realize that there were brick tanks and that they looked so good! I love the CV33 and I use them in my 15mm and 25mm Italians in Ethiopia games. There is nothing better than a good tankette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad! There are some really high priced sets available (200-300 usd) that look absolutely amazing but even the lower priced stuff looks the part. I'm really taken with the planes too, but they are quite large -around 1/32 I believe - more of a showpiece than a game piece.

      Delete
  3. Love the spirit! While not a 24/29, brickwarriors makes a chauchat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reese! There's something about the minifigures that just screams "fun" to me. And thanks for the tip - I'm going to go check out Brick Warriors right now!

      Delete
  4. Great idea, John! There are at least fellow bloggers who made their own wooden figures for gaming. The result was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete