Saturday, January 20, 2024

In the Emperor's Name, Let None Survive

From 1917, we jump ahead 39,000 years ...

While I had wanted to paint the Space Marines in the blue of the Ultramarines (the different "chapters" have different names and color schemes), my son really wanted Blood Ravens. And, in the ongoing quest to entice him into playing games with me, Blood Ravens it is!

Blood Raven Intercessors. Chapter symbol decals have been ordered but are shipping from overseas. 

They won't win any awards, but they are easily good enough for the tabletop. They also continue my exploration of this method of painting - base, wash, base again, highlight - which is light years away from my usual, Deetail-inspired toy soldier painting. I really enjoy the results - although sometimes, mid-way through, after the wash is applied, I wonder how I will ever salvage the figures.

Also, this red was a bear to paint. 

Last weekend, I made a trek to the game store for paints, but they were out of Mephiston Red which I had wanted to use (based on a video I saw). Some quick searching on the web and I found that Army Painter Dragon Red was supposed to be a close match. They had it in stock, so I bought it.

It might be a good match, I don't know. I just know it took what seemed like 100s of coats to get an even finish.

Perhaps it was the white primer? I could have bought Mephiston Red primer but it's spray, and it's been so cold, that wouldn't be an option anyway.

Also, last weekend, I finished the second group of three Plague Marines:

These were painted with the drybrush-wash method.

After my lizard folk in various sizes, these are my favorite figures by far. I love their aesthetic, even if half of the time, I'm not even sure what different bits are supposed to be.

Obviously, basing still has to be completed. for both Blood Ravens and Plague Marines. Although I think I have a plan now, I have one more Plague Marine and two more Intercessors to paint before I will tackle that project. 

4 comments:

  1. I really like your paint job on the Blood Ravens John! I played football for eight years in high school through college and my colors were always red and white! They reminded me of my old uniforms and brought back many happy memories! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! That reminds me that I have often thought it would be fun to paint up Imagi-Nations armies in favorite team colors. After all, someone has already figured out those colors look good together!

      Delete
  2. Looking good! What project are these for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! The Blood Ravens (and eventually Necrons) are for Fire Team (which is what they came with) and both Blood Ravens and Plague Marines (and everything else I got for Christmas) are for Grimdark Future : Firefight from One Page Rules. The forces for GFF work out to be about the same size as Killteam forces for the equivalent faction. I am almost tempted to try Killteam at one of the local-ish shops, so I suppose I'll put that as an outlier possibility too.

      Delete