Thursday, January 4, 2024

New Year, Who Dis?

 Happy New Year!

As this is my favorite time of year for reading everyone's posts reviewing the previous year and making plans for the coming year (realistic or not), it would be poor form if I did not offer up my own similar post.

2023 A Quick Overview of Gaming Stuff

Somehow, I managed to paint most everything I said I wanted to, and plenty of extra (oddly, I didn't do any of the Southern Front things I thought I would, but I did paint additional infantry). I'm most happy about finishing three Blitz Bowl teams and bringing my Tanitians and Lizards up in strength.

I played quite a few games, many of which were not documented - I rediscovered the joys of playing without feeling the need to record the proceedings. One Hour Wargames, rules-as-written (Ancients) as well as modified (Machine Age), saw the bulk of the action. 

I would have never expected that a year ago.

Not OHW but my own grid-based amalgamation of Crossfire, Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit and The Portable Wargame. It was immensely satisfying to get my PTO figures re-based and back on the table.

 There were a lot of rules tried, however. And that leads nicely into:

2023 Top 3 Posts 

I don't normally look at my posts to see which ones have the most views - that's not why I write. But I was curious, after seeing what some others have posted, to see if there was anything to learn from the exercise.

So, what were they?
  1. WWI Rules Review Sort Of 
  2. The Next Day Somewhere in Europe (One Hour Skirmish Wargames)
  3. Contemptible Little Armies and the Late Arrivals

I'm not at all surprised by the top spot - it's a review, sort of, and so it potentially has value to a wider audience than my usual ramblings. Indeed, it was shared on The Miniatures Page which led to most of the views.

Setup for The Next Day Somewhere in Europe

 The other two however, I can't explain. Perhaps it's that the post tile for each mentions a specific rule system? If you're actively trying to increase the views per post, that may be something to keep in mind.

2024 Plans

And now the part where unbridled enthusiasm seizes its opportunity.

Well maybe a little bridled.

As I've mentioned previously on this blog, 2024 will be the year of Grimdark.

For Christmas, as shown in that linked post, I gifted myself 48 Games Workshop figures representing four factions : Space Marines, Death Guard/Plague Marines, Tyranids, and Necrons. This is my primary goal/plan for 2024: paint all of them.

Space Marine Intercessors from the Fireteam game assembled. They'll be painted up as Blood Ravens, at my son's request.

It's more than feasible at just 4 figures per month but I do hope that I can paint them a little faster than that.

My second goal/plan is NO NEW FIGURES that aren't purchased with gift money (I mean, I can't help that people give me money because they don't know what to get me).

Lot's of us will make a similar vow for the coming year. Fortunately, in my case,  I did this for pretty much the last six or seven moths of 2023, so I've had some practice exercising restraint in this matter. It turns out it is surprisingly easy - or it was, once I realized I didn't need to buy figures every time an idea popped into my head.

This ties in somewhat with my efforts to reduce the size of my overall collection - painted and unpainted. Mostly though, I am trying to avoid accumulating for "someday" because 1)there isn't much space for that kind of thing in my apartment and 2)I'll probably have to move it at some point in the next few years and the less I have to pack the better.

I have all sorts of ideas about games I think would be fun to play, but at the same time, I hesitate to suggest that there's any kind of commitment in mind when I think of them. Instead, as I play games, I will make an effort to track them - even when not taking photos for the blog - so that I can see which collections are getting used and to what extent. 

That said, a mini-campaign or two are high on my list of possible undertakings.

***

I hope 2024 brings you whatever you want out of your gaming hobby and that your dice always roll high (except when you want them to roll low)!

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with your plans for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you managed to paint everything you wanted to in 2023, then you did very well indeed! Congratulations! I did not fare as well as you on that front.

    I look forward to seeing you accomplish your goals in 2024. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jonathan! To be fair, my painting goals were VERY modest for 2023.

      Delete
  3. John, congrats on achieving gaming goals in 2023 and good luck for 2024! The Red/Black figures in the first pic are really some of my favourites - such a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maudlin Jack! I love those figures - but painting them is so very frustrating. At some point I would like to expand the army with a third unit or some cavalry - but I'm still recovering from what I've painted already!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations John on your painting accomplishments! It's been another wonderful year and I've enjoyed your blog immensely! Thank you for another look at your Tanitians and I look forward to seeing the Space Marines in action! Take care, and I wish all the best for you and your family in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! Your comments are always very much appreciated. Happy New Year to your and yours in 2024!

      Delete
  5. I really like your point of view regarding playing wargames 'for your self' without having to record it for use on the blog. I'll have to admit that I've perhaps too seldom just play wargames without recording it. Perhaps I should as it is quite recreational.
    I'm looking forward to follow your blog and projects in 2024. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger! Happy new year to you as well! I realized that taking pictures, had, for a long time, been taking me more and more out of the game. Rather than thinking about the situation on the table, I found I was often looking for the best angle to take a picture. There's a balance to be struck there - as I do like going back and looking at pictures of previous games, especially when they are part of a campaign. I just haven't figured it out yet!

      Delete