Monday, January 8, 2024

First Figures of 2024 (sort of)

I started in on my goal of painting everything I got for Christmas with the Plague Marines.

They came assembled and primed and I had all the colors I needed already, so they were the obvious place to start.

I used the dry brush + Army Painter Strong Tone Quickshade final wash method that I used with my Nurgle Rotters and that I learned from Commander Cheapskate on YouTube.

The majority of the paints used here were craft brands. 

The bright green is provided by my new favorite paint color, Lime Sherbet (from Apple Barrel) which I used for the Rotters previously. It was dry brushed over a Russian Uniform Green base (Vallejo) which more or less disappeared between the dry brushing and the wash, but it's there. 

That's as much a note for my future self as anything - I have four more to paint.

I tried a rust effect - orange paint over gun metal on the chain mail, vents on the legs, and other bits - visible on the leftmost figure. I like how it looks.

I'm pretty happy with the overall result. I think they qualify as "Battle Ready" (that's like a GW term or something). They obviously need their bases finished but I haven't decided how I'm going to do the bases for this project.

I can't decide if I want each team's basing to be unique, or if they will all be uniform - like I do for my other collections, other than Blitz Bowl.

I need to think on that, so the paint queue will keep moving on.

10 comments:

  1. Pretty hideous looking, but well painted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really good. Plenty of detail on them for the dry brushing to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work John, they look very impressive - Lime Sherbet is a nice name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maudlin Jack! It's such a wonderfully bright and happy color before I wash it with strong tone. I almost hate to do it!

      Delete
  4. Very nice paint work John, they look great! Your dry brushing technique is very effective! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Geordie! Maybe not "parade ready" but ready enough for some games.

      Delete