Monday, March 25, 2024

One Hour Wargames, Heroes, and Spell Casters

The game is afoot! Actually, it was two feet. I'm playing on a 24" square. I'll see myself out.
 

I have been considering how to handle Heroes and Spell Casters in my fantasy version of One Hour Wargames (my fantasy version just combines the units from Ancients, Dark Ages, and Medieval, and then adds heroes and casters). 

This past weekend I put them to a (very limited) test.

My ideas for Heroes worked well - they aren't *too* powerful, but they can do a lot. I'm thinking perhaps they should all receive 1/2 Damage in addition to the re-roll, so they can go toe-to-toe with Ancient heavy infantry.

The spell casting concept worked but I'm not convinced casting should cost the caster their regular strength points. I like it in theory mind you but it may be better to use the One Page Rules Age of Fantasy : Skirmish idea of spell points, managed separately from the health of the caster. It would be something else to manage though - and as a solo gamer, I try to minimize that.

Heroes

All heroes may re-roll attack die, but must keep 2nd score (this is taken from the OHW FB group)

For each hero, prior to the start of the game:

  • Choose one of:
    • 1/2 Damage Received (armor, dodge, luck)
    • +2 to Range Attack
    • +2 to Melee Attack
    • Quick(9" movement rate on foot)
  • Choose one of (these have no cost to the Hero): 
    • Inspiring (friendly unit in base contact prior to unit action recovers1d3 points) 
    • Combat Leader (friendly unit in base contact may reroll attack die, but must keep 2nd score)
    • Tactics Master (friendly unit in base contact at start of that unit's movement may move up to double their movement rate)

Spell Casters


  • Casting takes a toll on the caster. Each time a spell is cast, the caster takes damage. The "Cost" in the list below is the damage the caster takes.
  • A Caster reduced to 0 points by casting is exhausted and removed from the battle.
  • Each time a caster casts a spell, they may choose one spell from the following ten spells.  
  • Casters may cast any spell from the list below.
  • Casters may only cast one spell per turn.
  • Target units, be they friend or enemy or self, cannot be in melee when the spell is cast on them. 
Optional: Casters melee at -2. This is the way the Fantasy rules on the OHW FB group do it. I don't like this, because my casters are warrior-casters, but if your concept is more like a DnD Magic-Users, then by all means.

Attack

Give the options descriptive names that fit your concept of the caster. For example, a Fire Mage might have Fire Ball, Rain of Fire, and Storm of Fire.

  • Long Range Attack, range 48", cost 1, causes d6-2 damage
  • Standard Attack, range 12",  cost 2, causes d6 damage
  • High Power Attack, range 12", cost 3, d6 + 2 damage

Defense

  • Shield (Self), range 0", cost 1, lasts until next turn
  • Shield (Unit), range 6", cost 2, lasts until next turn
  • Breathing Room, range 12", cost 3, enemy unit pushed back 3"

Utility

Call them what you will but these are the effects:

  • Haste (Self),  range 0", cost 1, move double-sped
  • Lesser Healing, unit within 6" cost 2, unit restores1d3 strength points
  • Haste (Unit),  unit within 6", cost 3,  unit advances one move, does not count as their action
  • Greater Healing, unit within 6", cost 4, unit restores 1d3 + 2 strength points

Many more spells are possible of course - in fact while typing this up, I thought of several more that might be fun. It ultimately depends on how much time you want to spend reading spell lists!


10 comments:

  1. Interesting ideas John! I limit the number of spells a Magic User may use per game, after which he/she remains on the field but may not use magic. I also have the possibility of spells back-firing, which can be fun (as long as it happens to the opposing side).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maudlin Jack! Limiting the spells is an interesting idea and would still achieve the same effect I'm going for (not having spell casters dominating the game), while minimizing record keeping duties. I do something similar with fire missions for my OHW WWII variant, for mortar crews.

      I love when spells backfire! One of my favorite features of the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG is the mishaps that result from casting spells!

      One thing I was considering was whether some kind of "summoning" spell would be viable - it could bring in a unit, already accounted for in OOB, at a location specified by the caster, which I think is the most "fair", but it could bring in an additional, bonus unit - obviously there's a balance issue there (I play solo and that's less of a concern, but I do like both sides to have a chance). In the latter case, it could be mitigated by damaging the wizard in the process perhaps?

      Delete
    2. For Summoning I don't include the Creature that has been summoned in OOB, BUT I limit the time it is allowed to stay on the battlefield; I do the same if I include Wandering Monsters as a random event.

      Delete
    3. AH! That is a perfect solution. It's a boost but not a forever boost! I am thinking for my lizard army that the same could work for dinosaurs - they respond to the call, arrive, cause havoc, and then run off. Perhaps with a chance of running rampant and attacking friend or foe equally as they leave.

      Delete
  2. I usually use Warhammer wizard lores and spells that can make wizards very powerful, but spells can also be dispelled by the enemy, and they can backfire with enormous damage to the spellcaster's own side. However, if your armies are small then this may be unsustainable!
    Heroes play a big part in my fantasy games. They can join or leave units not in melee. I give them two or three attacks and a plus one or two on the attack. The unit they are attached to gets to use their leadership. They also have high initiative so tend to go first. They can also go off on their own missions to recover treasure, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dispelling spells is intriguing. Most of the spells I came up with are designed to complete within that side's half of the turn (that is, within the constraint of One Hour Wargame's turn structure). However, "shield" carries over into the enemy's half of the turn and that would be the one most worth dispelling. Looks like I'll be at least adding that option!

      I like the idea of attaching a hero to a unit - it's an idea I had considered but let go of because I couldn't decide how to distribute damage between the unit and the hero, and what happens to the hero if the unit is eliminated.

      Delete
  3. Seems promising! (ps: good to see some old friends)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old friends of yours are among my most prized figures!

      Delete
  4. It's always good to see the Tanitians on the table John! Thanks for giving us another look at them! I hope that the rebasing has worked out to your liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! So far so good on the basing. But I've given up believing I'll stick with a basing scheme for very long. On the plus side, it's cheaper than buying whole new armies!

      Speaking of armies, and Tanitia, they have some additional conscripts in the paint queue despite my saying I never wanted to paint that color scheme again. I'll be extending their heavy infantry another base of 3 (I still had a few in my plastic pile), and I have some special support troops planned to up the fantasy element.

      Delete