Friday, December 28, 2018

AiP Royal Artillery Gatling Gun

Finished this Armies in Plastic gatling gun today during my lunch break. The color scheme is based loosely on a couple of Britan's and other toys I found on eBay and a few illustrations I found online. The end result is probably ahistorical but I rather like the color.
Gun with her crew.
Speaking of, I had to mix the color of the carriage and wheels. As I tend to eyeball everything, each time I had to touch up a spot and remix the color it changed shades ever so slightly. Lesson learned - mix enough for touch-ups or use pre-mixed paint.

The Broadwell Drum (or what I think is a Broadwell Drum) came from an extra ammunition carrier figure - this gun did not come with one to attach to it, and instead came with several different gun barrels, including a Dragon gun (presumably for Boxers).

Next up, the Russians. I primed a few of the figures and applied my chosen green, only to find that it doesn't cover white primer very well, even after four coats. So, I painted one of the primed figures black, and then applied the green uniform paint and the result was far better. I still need to look into some of the colors for the gear - although I have found a few reference pictures to use online.



2 comments:

  1. Well, it may have been a struggle but the end result was worth it.

    I do a lot of paint mixing and matching can be a female hound. One thing to watch for is that some paints change colour slightly as they dry so what looks like a perfect match when wet dries as a noticeable patch. The only solution that I've found for this is to use a fairly limited choice of colours and test with a teeny bit letting it dry a little while watching, touching up the mix and trying again or if frustrated enough....to repaint the whole bit in order to fix the patch. I have gotten much better at this over time which is where keeping the number of paints down so as to get to know how they work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross! And thank you for the paint mixing advice - the color changing on drying is not something I had thought about and would have saved multiple repaints. There is definitely something to be said for mixing the shade you need rather than running out to buy yet another bottle of paint. At the same time, mixing makes me appreciate paint that's exactly the right shade out of the bottle!

      Delete