Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Recoverd Pak 40

When you let your young child play with your toys, you have to accept the possibility of some damage.

Exhibit A, my Italeri Pak 40:
Good grief.

To be fair, that wasn't a single instance of destruction but rather, a few years worth. And to be really fair, I'm the one who stepped on it and broke off the wheel.

A week or two ago, I tackled the paint job but struggled to get the wheel to stay on, until last night when I pinned it. Voila!

Ready for battle!

A smart person would have stripped the old paint. I am not the person and so the paint is a bit lumpy looking in spots. It doesn't help that I glopped on Mod Podge for primer rather than using Gesso (Mod Podge works great on figures, it doesn't work so great on smooth, round surfaces). I then sealed it with Mod Podge for more lumpiness. Still, it looks good from arm's length and on the table, and I can drop it now and nothing happens to the paint (don't ask me how I know).

And for giggles, here it is with my recently finished Royal Artillery gun crew who are waiting for their own gun to be finished - note the fancy red stripe and shiny gloss has been applied since their last appearance here.

Royal Artillery firing a captured futuristic weapon.

2 comments:

  1. THAT is what toys are for! Looks great again. I'm sure the crew found painting over the caked on mud was easier than scraping it off.

    The gunners look great with a shine on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross! I really can't blame the crew for cutting corners on the paint job - it's war after all, not a parade.

      Delete