Sunday, July 7, 2019

Knock-Off Airfix Germans

They still need their shiny gloss (as do nearly all of my WWII figures) but I completed three German kneeling rifle-men and an SMG wielding NCO.

One of the rifles is an actual Airfix, the rest are Chinese knock-offs available from Classic Toy Soldiers. There is a good bit of flash and heavy mold-lines on these figures and I did a pretty lazy job cleaning them up. The next batch will get better treatment.

The Tea Green base is completely unrealistic but to my eyes it works with the simple toy painting style.
Also pictured is a PAK-40 and some ruins from Ultimate Soldier that I picked up on Ebay recently for a good price.

The gun and included figures (not pictured) are supposed to be 1/32 but like all of the Ultimate Soldier / 21st Century stuff, it all seems undersized. Compared to my Italeri PAK-40 this is possibly more of a PAK-38 (or maybe it's supposed to be?). The figures seem to be more 1/35 than 1/32 - most of them look undersized and delicate in comparison to the Airfix. I don't have a problem with that, as long as the different brands aren't on the same stand or placed too close together.

2 comments:

  1. NIce pic (and I really need to get around to trying out your revised rules).
    I remember these two moulds in particular.
    The kneeling chap was one of the finest figures Airfix ever made - bar the fact that to scale, if he had stood up, he would have been 7'2". He always seemed just too big.
    Now as for the chap with the SMG, he was at the other extreme, and seemed about 5'2" to scale. Clearly Hitlerjugend?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kneeling pose is one of my favorites (that and the guy throwing the potato masher grenade), but you are most correct - he would be quite gigantic if he stood. No doubt he is the pride of Germany!

      As for the diminutive fellow with the SMG - I think this knock off is even smaller than the Airfix versions! Perhaps he's either a youth or an old man pressed into service later in the war.

      Delete