Friday, August 23, 2019

ASLSK #1 : Dipping My Toe in the Water

Although I've gone through the rule book more than once now, I still hadn't had taken the time to put the ASL Starter Kit (ASLSK from now on) #1 on the table. Last night, I set up the first scenario just to play through part of a turn to start really learning.

Here's what it looked like after the Germans moved onto the board and took what amounts to reaction fire from the US paratroops:

While it doesn't look as enticing as toy soldiers on the table, once I'm stuck in my brain doesn't really care.

I made more than a few errors I'm sure, and I had to read and re-read rules bits, but I haven't been this excited to play a game since I got my Moldvay basic D&D book (aka the 'magenta' cover, the one with the three-holes punched) in '82.

Tonight, I'm going to see Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut (I've never seen the original cut but no matter) in the theater, but if there's time afterwards, I hope to work through a full turn for both sides for ASLSK.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about boardgames. Once started you forget that they're not 3D figures.
    Did you enjoy Apocalypse Now? One of my favourite films. "One day this war's going to be over..." (probably misquoted!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apocalypse Now was fantastic - so glad I had a chance to see it in the theater. There's something about hearing the jungle all around you, or the choppers in the distance that is hard to duplicate at home without a decent theater system.

      Delete