Saturday, August 17, 2019

Filling the Ranks

These 17 Deetails archers - a decent ebay deal that I wasn't looking for - arrived today:


The silver ones in particular need some touching up - particularly their helmets. I will be splitting these between my two armies, who should be making their way back onto the table soon enough with the One Hour Wargame rules (because I know little to nothing about the period, and thus have no expectations, the rules suit me fine.)

I also finished these last night (except for the gloss coat) in a flurry of painting activity:
These are Chinese Airfix knock-offs that I got from Classic Toy Soldier.They have heavy mold lines and a lot of flash. I did a better job cleaning this lot up than the last Germans I did, but I still didn't do a great job. 

The grenade thrower is one of my favorite poses. The other guy looks really stiff in comparison.

I have a pile of Russians on the paint table now - two are primed and painting has begun, but the rest await clean up. 

I find myself being distracted by a new project idea  that I'm doing my best to ignore but we'll see how that goes!

6 comments:

  1. Look great. 54mm always a favoured scale - due to growing up in the 1970s of course. Those classic poses will be forever etched upon our wargamer's memories (even if we started by chucking bricks at the 54mm Airfix - there were still rules back then).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duc de Gobin! Sadly, I didn't have Airfix growing up (Have you ever heard such a tragedy?). I did have quite a lot of what I think now were Timmee "army men"or at least very similar knock-offs. We were always rather unsophisticated, inevitably devolving into games of "My guy got yours!" "No, he didn't!"

      Delete
  2. I have similar memories to the Duc, only the battles were in the garden and small stones were thrown at the Airfix 1/32nd WW2 figures. Oddly I never threw things at my Britain's Knights. The Deetail Archers are a great purchase. The OHW rules will be fine in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the closest we ever came to throwing anything at our army men (Timmee or similar, I never had Airfix until I was an adult.) was firecrackers - we were not the most civilized lot.

      The archers were an accident of browsing, but as I was sorely lacking archers, it was a happy accident at that. I have used the OHW rules before and found them enjoyable - but I am in no position to offer a critique of them as my "knowledge" of medieval combat comes from a handful of movies / tv shows and Dungeons & Dragons.

      Delete
  3. Great eBay find, you can never have too many archers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true! Indeed, I had but three which had to cover the duties of two full units. They were overjoyed at the reinforcements.

      Delete