Thursday, August 29, 2019

Great Northern War Troop Review

Inspired by Charge! I pulled out my Great Northern War figures to see just what I have on completed and to get a sense of how much remains if I am to field both sides for Blasthof.

I have enough infantry for both sides for Blasthof, although the Swedes do need a proper leader, and maybe a drummer for kicks (or is that kick drum? Thank you thank you. I'll be here all week. Tip your waitstaff.) - I know I started them, I just have to find them!

My painting style on these won't be to everyone's taste, but I really like the black line with them. It''s sloppy on any single figure, but en masse, I find the effect satisfying.

First the Swedes:


A uniform looking group. This was in part due to laziness and partly because my research didn't suggest a ton of options, so I just went with it.

The Russians have two dozen more figures in a greater variety of colors, plus I bothered to paint up command. Based on the figures I had, I divided up the command equally among the completed units. Three per unit would be nicer, but I don't know if I feel like investing in more boxes.

Color schemes came from multiple sources - at the time there were a handful of affordable options and one really expensive one which I didn't have. So these are accurate as far as I'm concerned but historically, maybe so, maybe not. I am tempted to pick up some of the newer titles on the GNW, but one thing at a time.

Without further ado, the Russian infantry:

Here's a close up of one of my favorite units (I believe these are painted as the Semenovski ):


And another (pretty sure these are the Kievski) :


Basing was more of an experiment and made storage easier. However, for Charge! obviously, I'll move them to individual basing on pennies or washers.

And here are the only two completed dragoons. I do have several more horses done - but the riders are only half started.


6 comments:

  1. A great start,roll on the game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now to find the boxes of artillery in the pile of unrealized projects.

      Delete
  2. A very attractive pair of armies, I think the painting style works well. Close ups of individuals black lining usually looks off to me but on the table at normal viewing distance and in photos of a game in progress its very effective.

    Pennies work but experience tells me that Charge! works just fine if you mark casualties and remove a stand when enough hits have been scored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross!

      That's good to know about using stands with Charge! Although I may also go with rectangular bases and magnets like I did for my WWII plastics for flexibility.

      Clearly I haven't put much work into basing these figures so it's not a big loss to pop them off the stands.

      Delete
  3. John,

    I agree with the others--your armies look just fine. This is what I do if someone gets snarky: advise Mr. Snark that his troops are aware of his disdain for their appearance, and have deserted en masse (by which I mean I put the figures back in the box). Tends to cut the B.S. real short.

    Second, I have a mountain of Great Northern War info. By separate email I'm sending what a quick look appeared to be the most useful. Please let me know if you need more.

    Best regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again Chris for the emails!

      Delete