Wednesday, August 7, 2019

More Soviet Cannon Fodder, I Mean Infantry

I've spent some time considering what my "ideal" WWII forces would look like (at least for the present moment) and so it has given my desire to paint another boost.

Here are four new recruits for the my Soviet army:

NKVD officer "encouraging" Soviet riflemen.
All are Marx recasts.

The biggest problem is how few of these standing rifle figures I got in the batch of thirty-six Marx Soviets I acquired a few years ago (and finally they are getting painted!). Part of me wants to order yet another batch in hopes of getting a few more, part of me says just paint what I have. The other rifle pose included is a close assault pose with the gun over the head or maybe they are wading? I don't like it as much, but I have quite a few of them.

I did pick up a box of two 1/35 Italeri maxim gun teams - my Soviets need something more than light machine guns. I really don't like building models, including figures, mostly because I am bad at fiddly things. Hopefully, I don't botch them too badly.

3 comments:

  1. Classic toy soldiers does a good job with their communist Chinese and North Korean figures. I use them for winter time Russians. They stand on the larger side of "54mm" but are wonderful sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reese, I will definitely check them out.

      Delete
  2. A fair question. This week (it's a moving target after all), I'm thinking 36 infantry figures (not counting LMG teams) would be a good solid core force. It could be a Featherstonian battalion of 3 10-figure companies with command, a 1:1 platoon, or based in 3s or 4s to represent who knows what.

    Additionally three mortars with teams (ostensibly 80mm - 120mm, but I tend not to fuss over the actual model), three LMG teams, three or four MMG/HMG with teams, and two ATGs with at least 2 crew each. Also, at least one figure to serve as a forward observer and one to serve as an overall commander. Finally, a handful of figures to represent infantry anti-tank weapons (say three) and engineering (another 3-6, flame throwers, mine sweepers, those Marx Soviet guys throwing a grenade and who have no rifle or pistol even).

    My focus is infantry actions so I don't need a ton of armor. I think three tanks are plenty. Plus, given that I play with 54mm figures, vehicles take up a lot of space on my small table (3x5 kitchen table or 4x4 plywood) even when they are 1:50 scale (my Eastern Front tanks are right now 1/38). Most of the time my games take place within small arms range from the start, but 3 non-AFVs per side to move things around the table during the game would still be nice to have.

    Aren't you sorry you asked? :D

    ReplyDelete