Saturday, January 4, 2020

2020 Vision or Are My Eyes Bigger Than My Stomach?

This year has started off not exactly according to plan. My 19-year old cat (the vet believes she's 20. we can agree to disagree) has had a major health incident and I have gone full-in on making her comfortable and helping her in any way I can - which mostly is just letting her sleep on me, as medically there isn’t much to be done given her advanced age.

So, I read  blogs via my phone or books (currently reading: Infantry Attacks by Rommel), while she snoozes, help her move around when she decides she needs a change, and otherwise put myself in her service. Consequently, I am not able to do much else hobby-wise. If you're a pet person, you probably understand - if you're not, then you probably think I'm crazy. You wouldn't be wrong, but there is better evidence than this!

(She is sleeping now and I am typing this in my phone. My apologies for any strange auto predictions!)

Sitting around with a cat on lap has left me time to think about 2020 and goals/plans/schemes (you were wondering if this would actually include any hobby content!) - inspired by the posts on that topic by so many others.

If on seeing this you're first thought is "Oh no! What did he do now?" then you are not alone with that thought. Yes, after some late night deliberations, I opted to change basing, yet again.

The biggest goal is to submit some writing to Lone Warrior, for the website and for the magazine. In the past, I have submitted some lengthy letters, but no proper articles, and as I love to write, it seems like a no-brainer.

My World War I project was well detailed in a previous post - I got some money for Christmas this year, and so will make the purchase of some Italian troops. I do not intend to finish either force this year but I would like to be able to play some OHSW with them by year end - so maybe 8-16 figures each.

I'd like to bring my colonial imagi-nations armies up to 20 infantry each and one general/character figure each. I received The Men Who Would be Kings for Christmas and the skirmish version works with 6-figure infantry and 4-figure cavalry (which is all I have!) and they will be given a run through as soon as I can.

Figures and guns will be added to my 54mm Eastern Front WWII project in accordance with some 1943 TO&Es I found. The idea is to build a battalion force per side where 1 stand is a platoon and then that should give me plenty of variety for games where 1 stand is a squad. Or so goes my rationale.

My 28mm French taunt me (think Monty Python’s Holy Grail) and so I will endeavor to finish at least the one section if not both. Case Red : the Collapse of France is in my shopping cart and should provide some motivation (my intent is to eventually field French vs Italians for the very brief encounter between them and not worry much about the social element).

I received 3 counter-based games from Santa (admittedly, the one may have been from me passing myself off in the guise of Kris Kringle) and they, along with ASLSK will find their way to the table. For all but ASLSK the goal is at least 3 plays each. For ASLSK the goal is to play through all of the scenarios I have between #1 and #2.

Finally, I intend to play at least three campaigns and probably four. The first will be OHSW and the sample map based campaign included in the rules, using unpainted TSSD figures. The others are up in the air but one will likely be the next phase in my medieval campaign.

There is most certainly more I am thinking about but the ideas are less solidified in my head and will likely rise up and completely distract me from my stated goals at any moment and without any warning.

10 comments:

  1. Every one needs a warm lap to curl up on sometime. Its the least we can do for an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a person who feeds and gives shelter* to middle aged cats, I empathize.

    (*Lets face it, we don't own them, we enable them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maudlin Jack. Indeed, I rarely use the word 'owner' - it seems rather impossible that anyone could 'own' a cat.

      Delete
  3. Treasure every moment my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. An important reminder always.

      Delete
  4. Best wishes to you and your cat for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My deepest sympathies--my schnoodle is 14, blind, diabetic, increasingly deaf, and more and more confused every day. He mostly sleeps, which is good--I hope in his dreams he chases every squirrel he can find.

    Someone told me many years ago that when you lose someone, what you've loved remains in your heart. I have found comfort in that.

    I have to close this--getting too emotional. Whatever happens, have a good year, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. And I wish you and yours the same.

      Delete