Monday, January 27, 2020

First Painted Figures of 2020!

The painting mojo was strong this weekend and so rather than play game two of my OHSW campaign, I went with it, as I hadn't painted anything since early December.

First up, the leader of the Ginland force. His rank and name have yet to be determined, only that no matter where the fighting takes place, he insists on riding a camel.

Are they over here?
Maybe they're over here.
The commander bravely leads his troops into battle!
The officer and his camel are Armies in Plastic figures. The camel you may have seen previously here, but the officer was sadly lacking a paint job until now. The color schemes for both came from Britains and other examples on eBay (not exactly first rate historical uniform research on my part but I think the figures look the part).

And, while less colorful, certainly no less useful if you're the Soviet army in WWII:

Zdis!
I went with the grey coat this time (my other stand has a brown great coat) - watching Russian WWII movies has given me the impression that Soviet uniforms were anything but, and so I'm trying to capture that variety here and there.

These figures are the inexpensive knock-offs of Italeri figures. The plastic is hard and takes scraping with a knife well, although you'd never know it, since apparently I couldn't be bothered cleaning these two. In any case, the only real downside besides the mold lines are the deep injection points - green stuff and/or glue is your friend!

Tonight will see the delayed game two of my campaign - unless I really feel the need to paint of course!

13 comments:

  1. The colonial chaps are splendid John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I agree, you have them just right John.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Maudlin Jack! Thank you Ross!

      Delete
  2. The figures look splendid, I especially like the one on the camel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see someone else field some Imperial Camel Corps! Can't wait to see him bravely lead his troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally thought I would only paint the officer - the reason I purchased the set to begin with - but I like the end result, so I may end up painting the rest before the year is out.

      Delete
  4. Love the toy soldier look of the AIP camel guy - he's on my bench too! This will give me some inspiration to finish him.

    What makes are the Italeri knock-offs? I'm always looking for hard plastic 54mm figs.

    Btw, can I use a pic for the painting challenge update?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! The camel and officer were a lot of fun to paint.

      I'm not really sure who makes the Italeri knock-offs. I've never noticed any manufacturer's mark but I wasn't looking either.

      According to ww2pts they were put out by Supreme Playsets and that's how HobbyBunker and Michigan Toy Soldier Co. list them. Classic Toy Soldiers lists them as BMC and Amazon has them being sold by BMC (but not listed as manufacturer).

      Finally, Toy Soldier Depot and Little Green Men Toys don't list a manufacturer - which is probably the safest bet. I suspect it's one of those Chinese manufacturers that gets rebranded by the distributor.

      You are welcome to use these pictures - I was going to send you a batch at the end of the week. I'm hoping to have a few more to add to the pile by then.

      Delete
  5. Thanks John, sure, send pics to my gmail, as I'm planning a Feb 1 update for the halfway point.

    Know what I'd appreciate? 54mm Plastics is such an obscure world, it'd be great if when you post about a figure you put the link of where you got it, or whatever specifics would allow us to look it up. I'm finding it a lot more difficult to track down plastics than metals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do that! I generally keep pretty good track of where I find things, so sharing a link is easy enough.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark! I'm quite pleased with the end result.

      Delete