Sunday, January 19, 2020

Escaping an Encirclement - Preparation

In One Hour Skirmish Wargames, John Lambshead presents some ideas for skirmish campaigns. Among these is an enticing map campaign entitled, 'Escaping an Encirclement' which features a German force cut off by one of the Soviet spearheads that broke through German lines, north and south of Orel as part of Operation Kutusov.

The German goal is to escape beyond the railroad tracks on the west edge of the map - meanwhile the Soviets have patrols scattered in the area that must be dealt with.


The Germans should have a force between 25 and 50 points (which, depending on any special abilities and weapons, could range from a half-squad to two squads). The Soviets get 6 'patrols' - four equal to 2/3 of the points of the German force, and two with the same point value.

The Soviet forces are allocated to points on the map, other than the one marked '1'. Which means three of the locations are empty of patrols.

My German unit is as follows:

DescriptionPointsRankName
Army Motivation:44

Leader(3), SMG(2 shots)8FeldwebelFrege
Leader(2), SMG(2 shots), Bruiser(2)8UnteroffizierHegel
Sniper - Deadshot (2), rifle (1)3GefreiterHeidegger
MG-42 gunner - MG-42(2 shots), range infinite2ObergefreiterHusserl
Grenadier 1 - rifle (1), two grenades (2), tough(2)5GrenadierCarnap
Grenadier 1 - rifle (1), two grenades (2), tough(2)5GrenadierSchiller
Rifle 11Grenadier
Schopenhauer
Rifle 21GrenadierFichte
Rifle 31GrenadierLeibnitz
Rifle 41GrenadierStein
TOTAL POINTS39



Inspired by Mark, Man of Tin's latest adventures in personalized wargaming, I gave each figure a name (as you can see in the list above), which is taped to the bottom:


I majored in philosophy as an undergraduate and so I just grabbed a bunch of German philosopher names. Some are philosophers I am familiar with, others were just names chosen for no particular reason, so don't read too much into them. 

And here is the force under Feldwebel Frege (standing with SMG in the back):



I have also pre-generated the six Soviet patrols, which took a bit of effort.

Because I only have 16 TSSD Soviets, I am reusing the figures for the various patrols, but by playing around with motivation, leadership ratings, and special abilities, I was able to make six distinctly different patrols.

The biggest challenge of the campaign will be if a depleted German force encounters one of the full point Soviet patrols.

Because I already know I want to take the southern route - crossing the road to (2), then making my way through the village, solely because I don't have any real marsh terrain -  I may limit the blank chits, for no patrol, to just one, in order to guarantee at least three games make it to the table (or perhaps none, since this is the more populated part of the map). Even without an encounter, having names for the soldiers should help inspire a narrative of some kind.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting looking game John. Keen to see how it plays.
    I only recognize Hegel and Heidegger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm suspecting that it's going to be a tough campaign for the Germans depending on how the Soviet patrols are encountered. Should be interesting though!

      Delete
  2. He was the boozy beggar who could drink you under the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How have I never heard that song before?!? I feel like my whole undergraduate study (and a misspent year of graduate philosophy) completely failed me.

      Delete
  3. Hey John, I'll be following with interest - planning another Star Wars OHSW game soon.

    Meanwhile, here's the painting challenge update:
    https://ecw40mmproject.blogspot.com/2020/01/figure-painting-challenge-p2-1215.html
    I don't have an email for you, so this is best I can do for updating - hope you didn't send something and it got put into spam, LMK! Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wanting to put this one on the table since I got the book. I'm a bit concerned about the strength of the Soviet patrols. Even with the post-battle chance to recover troops, the Germans are outnumbered points wise by a fair margin.

      Oh and I only just picked up a paint brush last night for the first time since before I joined the challenge. I'll have something to send soon I hope!

      Delete
  4. [Actually, I should switch to 54mm WWII East Front unpainted like yours, as I got a couple boxes of high-end plastics by Pegasus.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have been tempted by the Pegasus Soviet Navy Infantry - more than one WWII movie/tv show set on the Eastern Front features them (usually in army uniforms with the striped sailor shirt underneath).

      Delete