Tuesday, January 7, 2020

First Game of 2020

Per the title, I got my first game of 2020 in last night. Admittedly, it was a board game, Long Range Desert Group from Decision Games, but the ease of set up and the ability to play board games sitting down with my cat on me makes them an obvious choice right now.

LRDG is a solitaire, low counter count, low complexity, point-to-point counter based game. Realizing it may be awhile until I get around to fielding any toy soldiers for WWII desert battles, this is a quick fix.

It comes in a zippy bag.
This was the second time I played this game - the first was in late December. I purposely played the same scenario, 1941's Crusader! mission, because I botched it badly the first time through by spreading my force too far from the objectives with only 8 turns to achieve them.

This was due in large part for failing to remember that I could stack unlimited units on a base point.

This time, I put everyone in one base, Kufra - in the picture below I broke it into two stacks just to keep it from falling over. Again.

I really need to invest in a small sheet of plexiglass to flatten my maps.
I decided to take a small but fast force out to Jalo to see what was there, before following with others, and only if necessary. On the way we were bogged down in the Calashano Sand Sea, which of I anticipated of course.

In game terms that means we have to stop movement there. I drew the Orders from Cairo! card but as we had no wireless, it had no effect.

On arrival in Jalo, I took a survey of our force's morale give our slight delay, but as we had suffered no loses nor dealt the enemy any blows, nothing was to be noted . There we also acquired the first objective. I sent it back with one of my recon units to our base.

Along the way we received  some intel (a card that let's the player reveal two objective markers, take an additional turn, or make an air or water move) that revealed that Sirte and El Aghelia were both mined, and not locations for our second objective. That eliminated moving in that direction and instead I sent my force on to Mechili.

In Mechili, we ran into a mine field but managed to avoid any damage. From there, we moved on to Beda Littorio. In addition to more intel, we nabbed the second objective there.

Through an act of unheralded daring, I stole a plane from an airfield there and escaped by air to our base in Kufra (I used the air move option on the intel card). The armored car and remaining recon trucks would have to make their way back without me because "I'm much to important to be captured."*

****

It sounds like a victory. Right? Wrong. I had to score 6+ KIAs against the Germans as well as get the two objectives and I didn't encounter any! I suppose I could have gone looking for some rather than taking the objective back to base, but then I would have risked running out of turns to get back or losing my force for that matter.

In any case, LRDG is an inexpensive, fun, quick game, with enough player decisions to be interesting and enough randomness to provide friction and variety. On BGG, some players noted that after enough plays, you'll know what cards remain in the deck and so some of the surprise is lost, but I don't find that troublesome - most of the cards have multiple possible outcomes and so even if you know what's left, it doesn't guarantee a particular result.

Looking forward to playing again!


*Flintstone's reference

11 comments:

  1. Have heard complaints about having to have "kills" to win that game. I have found in solo games victory really depends on your own terms.

    I will be running a Fistfull of Lead game tonight at the club. My 91st Recon Squadron will see their first action of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The KIA requirement doesn't bother me but it does complicate victory!

      Having to bring the objective back to base, since usually they were blowing stuff up and conducting sabotage, feels off though - a reviewer on BGG noted they think of it as getting the men back to base rather than bringing some object back and I think I'll think of it that way next time.

      For truly infuriating victory conditions, I suggest Remagen Bridgehead by Minden Games. It's intended that you have to roll at the end to see if you met the objectives (i.e. you don't know your objectives until the game is over). They do tag on that if that drives you crazy, you can roll in advance.

      Heading over to your blog in a minute to take a look at the FFoL report!

      Delete
  2. I ran the game through its paces a few years ago. Had a blast running missions, even though, contrary to your experience, I seemed to run into the Germans far too often. The company released a French Indian War game using a similar system I want to try. I enjoyed the "in character" report part of your post; makes me want to pull it out again for a few patrols!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! The write-up was inspired by Steve8 narrative or his games at narrativesolowargames.blogspot.com.

      While I met no Germans this time, in the first game I was pummeled by them. I had something like -6 KIAs when the turns ran out. I'll have to look into that French-Indian War title, as that's another period that I may never have figures for (not for lack of desire - I love the uniforms for the Compagnies Franches de la Marine and think they'd make splendid toy soldiers.)

      Delete
  3. Looks interesting I can see it also as a campaign generator for skirmish games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would work perfectly for that! You roll 1d6 for enemy unit count (sometimes you divide it in half) so depending on how many figures/bases you decide each represents, these could easily fit on a 3x3 surface.

      Delete
  4. Cool! I have gotten a few of these solo games, mostly to either use for campaigns on the table, or for periods where I doubt I'll ever have the figs but want to "go there". I got Khyber Pass, Rogers Rangers, Vikings, Merrils Marauders, Congo Merc and Khe Sahn, all of which I must get onto the table in 2020. The first four are all potential miniature game makers. I have the lovely 54mm AIP FIW figs, which interestingly are by a different sculptor and have a different style. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a toss up between LRDG and Merril's Marauders when I was shopping. I might even have figures necessary to play the latter out on the table - might have to pick it up sooner rather than later.

      More than once I have been tempted by Britains and other toy soldiers for the FIW that I stumbled on at fire sale prices (and always regret not purchasing). I do have a box of the AiP Woodland Indians (I got them to paint as the inhabitants of Barsoom) - they are incredible sculpts that my painting could never do justice to.

      Delete
    2. don't let them intimidate you! just do a solid block paint job and then use a miracle dip glosscoat or something. They'll be fine. Of course, I haven't even played with mine yet, maybe if I test out the Rogers Rangers game it will suitably inspire me. Then again Khyber pass would be better since I have them already prepped!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year! Interesting game and matrix map board. This is just sort of the territory and terrain in vintage Airfix 20mm that my LRDG D Desert Commandos (Misfits) and Yestershire Regiment (Regulars) are raiding into, defended by General Von Rimmel's NordAfrika Korps, all in glorious technicolor 20mm Vintage-Airfix-ascope. This could be done in 54mm but my back yarden sand pit isn't big enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Mark! You could get a very useful campaign structure from the LRDG game for your Airfix (adapting names for your Imagi-nations of course). Vehicles will be a lot easier to field in 1/72 than 1/32 that's for sure!

      Delete