Friday, February 7, 2020

Book Review: Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel

This is the edition I have. I could do without the bad metal band logo title font.
In Infantry Attacks, Erwin Rommel presents his recollections of his service in WWI, from Belgium and France to Romania and Italy, with analysis and lessons to be taken from the encounters. Reminiscent at times of a "war story" being told over a glass of brandy, the actions described are often exciting, if obviously biased towards his beloved Wurtembergers. Importantly, Rommel paints a picture of movement  - even when describing trench warfare - for a war regarded popularly as a static affair and he supports his narrative with simple, but useful and ample, maps. With few exceptions, the chapters are stand-alone vignettes and it is possible to skip around to one's geographical area of interest, if so desired.

It is not necessary to be familiar with WWI in any great detail to appreciate this book, but it is not a survey of the conflict; it will most certainly spark interest in further research if this is your starting point. If WWI is a gaming interest, there are plenty of suitable scenarios for the table described, regardless of your chosen level of representation - he covers encounters ranging from a handful of men to an entire regiment in size. If The Great War is not a gaming interest, Infantry Attacks could well change your mind.

8 comments:

  1. It's a great book, and strangely absent from my bookshelf. I will have to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I only wish I had gotten a hard bound edition as this is staying on my reference shelf for sure.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It really is. And, I don’t know what I expected going in but coming out, painting Germans for alpine battles in Italy is a no brainer!

      Delete
  3. This book is a bucket list read for me. Your post pushed me over the edge to finally buy and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been meaning to read this for years, just ordered it now, so thanks for the prod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent to hear! I hope you like it!

      Delete