Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Test Prints

I'm not sure why, but I decided to start of this unit of khaki-clad British soldiers with just three figures.

Honestly, it makes no sense - four would be great for a unit in a grid-based game like The Portable Wargame or six for half-sized units in The Men Who Would Be Kings, but three?


Armies in Plastic colonial British painted in a mix of craft and Vallejo acrylics.
In any case, I'm pleased with the final result and I'm starting in on the remaining seven in this unit in the next day or so.

The tedious bit is obviously the straps and belts and such, but otherwise, now that I've decided on the colors for the puttees and the boots (damned if I can remember - but fortunately I only have a few hundred shades of brown to sort through), the rest should be fairly easy to knock out in assembly line fashion.

11 comments:

  1. They have a nice high gloss, what do you use to varnish them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the gloss, I use Delta Ceramcoat Gloss Exterior/Interior Varnish. It's water-based, so cleaning the brush requires just soap and water.

      These figures show the gloss after a single coat, liberally applied - a generous way of saying I glop it on with complete disregard to hiding details or any similar worries. I rarely use more than 1 coat for infantry figures.

      I also don't do much brushing away of excess after the first few minutes. You can, but it dries pretty fast and if you keep fussing with it, you'll start streaking the drying varnish and have to reapply.

      Delete
  2. The largest unit begins with but a single figure....

    They look just right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AIP's British infantry are top notch sculpts. Have you thought about painting one unit with white equipment and the other with brown or black? Historically they all work and it would make for easy unit distinction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are - and they only required minimal mold line removal, most of the lines were barely perceptible.

      I had been wondering how I was going to differentiate units. Brown or black kit is a great idea!

      Thanks, Reese!

      Delete
  4. Did think about a Zulu Wars project but I am too busy. Even so, this is is the way I would go if I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This project started in June of 2017 - and I think over 2.5 years I've only painted 30-ish figures for it!I'm only making a push now and making the time for this project because I reached my initial goal (finally) and I feel extra motivated as a result. Hoping the mojo doesn't leave before I finish up the opposing unit of Russians!

      One Hour Skirmish Wargames has a Zulu scenario in it that is tempting - it uses a not too daunting 8 British and 16 Zulus (which are recycled back onto the table after they are eliminated after they spend one turn off the table).

      If I were to do it, I'd probably bump the numbers to 10 and 20 respectively, to use with a some other systems too (Space 1889: A Soldier's Companion comes to mind, as does GASLIGHT).

      Cheers!

      Delete