Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The Not-Imperial-Russians Get a Leader

Urging his men to action the leader of the Vodkia force cuts a dashing figure in his blue Don Cossack uniform with red shoulder boards (color scheme from an illustration found on the interwebz)

Maybe it's me,but does the horse look angry?

Notice he rides a horse into battle - you would never see him sitting on a camel.


His men look upon him with equal parts respect and fear - having seen their leader charge into the enemy, sword slashing wildly, cutting down man after man, all the while laughing heartily.

Only a fool would risk even the faintest whiff of insubordination.

.***
This horse and rider complete my original plan for this project, which was a 10 figure infantry unit, a gun + crew, a 4 figure unit of cavalry, and a leader figure.

Stage 2, however, is already underway to add a unit of infantry to each side. I hope to have the Brits in their khakis done quickly. The first test figures are nearly done. A second unit of Russian rifles will complete the 2nd stage.

If there's a stage 3, it will be because I decided to paint up the remaining Cossack and British camel corps. figures. It does seem a shame to not use them.

6 comments:

  1. Love your paint job on the AIP sculpts as always! Makes me want to work on my 1898 alternate history project more. Too many projects, too little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Reese! Too many projects, too little time is right. My unpainted plastic pile can attest to that.

      Delete
  2. Lovely. A fun project. I like the way you are so disciplined over how you plan things ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve! Any semblance of discipline is an illusion. This and my medieval collection based for OHW are the only projects where I had a plan from the get go, and that I stuck to. My usual practice is to spend money and time chasing my whims before the project stalls or is fielded in whatever shape it is in.

      Delete
  3. Yes, its just you. The horse night look a bit smug though.....

    None the less the new commander looks good. Definitely a 2nd unit. Bad for morale to be left behind in the box without at least being issued vodka and....the other amenities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross, and "Smugly" is now the unofficial name for this horse! (I am picturing him as something of Muttly type, although the commander is less a buffoon than Snively Whiplash).


      Delete