Thursday, August 13, 2020

Add More Morschauser

 Rules tinkering continues.

After another dozen or so games played on the computer using Google Draw for the map and units, I learned quite a few things. I could go into a deep dive about what I found "wrong" with my recent rules attempts, but in short, they weren't Morschauser enough for me.

So, last night, I ran through a grid-based homage to Morschauser with an overall feeling that was just "better" to me.

The only thing I think the scenario needs now is some mine fields.

The now familiar opening moves of Cherkasskoye.

The Soviet middle melted away before the combined Panzers and PanzerGrenadiers of Grossdeutschland.

The Soviet left fell away shortly after. Effective Soviet ATG fire dealt a blow to the Panzers.

11th Panzer Division (the "Ghost Division") sends help [turn 9]. The Soviets are in an even tougher spot now.

A hard fought battle for the town ensued - including an accidentally suicidal assault by the Grossdeutschland Pioneer battalion which opened the way for Recon to advance.

After turn 8, I roll for how many turns remain and with a roll of 3 it was going to be tight. In the end, the Germans could not quite clear the entire village, although they managed a foothold. 

The Soviets suffered an overwhelming loss of units - because I kept going well past their break point. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not for the scenario. I kind of feel like it does, but the fact that it came down to the last turn, I feel, means they should get some additional credit.

If I scored this per Featherstone, it'd be 5-2 , in favor of the Germans (the battle was a draw, plus 1 point for every loss of 20% inflicted). However, given the Germans had to call on 11th Panzer, even if they never reached the village, to me, means the Soviets deserve some extra credit for delaying the German advance. I would score this 5-3 if this was for the campaign.

Like I said, I want to add mine fields, which, given the change in rules, seems a necessity to balance out the sides a little better.


5 comments:

  1. No point in doing what you don't like in your gaming. Adding more Morschauser sounds like a good plan to me John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Maudlin Jack! This exercise taught me a little more about what I don't want from my games, which I suppose is as good a result as any.

      Delete
  2. Every time I look at this set up I feel the green eyed monster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve! The irony here is that I constantly look at your blog for inspiration!

      Delete
    2. I need to get back to that!

      Delete