Tuesday, August 4, 2020

I Am Not Good at Leaving Well Enough Alone

As an inveterate rules tinkerer, I decided to make some changes to my own grid-based battalion per base rules - particularly regarding effects vs armor (I didn't like that mortars could eliminate tanks). However, I made some other tweaks, that, frankly, broke the game in some respects during play testing.

So here are some pictures while I reset some of the changes. Please note, the game pictured does not count towards the campaign, although it is the Cherkasskoye, July 5, 1943, scenario I posted.

I/PzGr, and I and II/Pz advance up the middle, while Recon races up the road. All units encounter fierce Soviet resistance, but the Soviets on the German right collapse, opening the advance on that flank.

With their lines breached, the commander of the 67th Guards Rifle Division orders two ATG batteries to provide support for the 199th, as it falls back towards the town.

To say things don't look good for the Red Army is an understatement.

Another view of the same scene. This is my favorite picture of the night.

The Soviet side of the line.

I and II/Pz reach the village, swinging to the left flank, and engage in a shootout with ATG batteries (the 1st was destroyed by combined artillery and I/Pz fire)

Recon arrives on the right flank and I/PzGr advances in preparation to storm the town. (Yellow dice are my "Overwatch" markers. It did them little good,)

It was an overwhelming German win, and a victory for GrossDeutschland , as there was no need for 11th Panzer Division's support.

14 comments:

  1. I love the pictures. I am unfamiliar with the battle. Were the results similar to events?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GrossDeutschland outperformed their real-life counterparts in this particular game by quite a bit. IRL, GD took heavy losses and got bogged down outside the objective. 11th Panzer Division, on their right flank, had to send support to attack the Soviets in the town (or is it a village?) which freed the GD Panzer Grenadiers to fight their way into the village.

      My changes went too far and made armor and armored infantry too powerful relative to infantry. They represent battalions, so there are organic AT guns for distance fire, although I stand by my change of medium/heavy mortar fire not being able to eliminate tank units ( a problem area in my dozens of other games that lead to my changes ). I played twice, not enough to really evaluate, but between both games the Germans lost a total of 1 unit.

      Ideally, GD can't take the town until 11th Panzer shows up - but I know that won't always be the case.

      Another thing that would probably help, too, would be some minefields for the Soviets - earlier in the day than depicted on my table, GDs Panthers debuted ignominiously by getting caught in an undiscovered/uncleared mine field. Tank and recovery crews were then shelled as they tried to work on and extricate the tanks.

      Delete
    2. OH! And thank you for complimenting the pictures!

      Delete
  2. It is the price that has to be paid for being an impulsive tinkerer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. At least I stopped myself from re-basing the figures yet again.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a tough scenario for the Russians!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most definitely is - I tried to design the scenario to reflect the historical situation as best I could (this is one of the few times I've ever tried this) without worrying about balance (I play solo, so that's OK). As such, the Soviets are outnumbered and out classed (veteran units vs standard units) but have the advantage of prepared defensive positions. As it's part of a 5 or 6 game campaign plan, the idea is that the Soviets gain points primarily by bloodying the Germans' noses, although a win for them in this scenario is not unheard of.

      Delete
  4. Great looking game, lots of vehicles/armour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you tradgardmastare! One of the benefits of calling what's represented a higher level of organization is that I can easily justify the presence of vehicles on the table - even if a 3' x 3' space looks a bit crowded at times.

      Delete
  5. Hello John. Always good to see big Classic Toy Soldiers like Airfix and Matchbox on the Tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Mark. Some of the poses (the grenade throwing Germans in particular) capture everything I like about playing with toy soldiers.

      Delete
  6. Looks good - and I can feel your excitement from here!

    ReplyDelete