Monday, August 17, 2020

Self Examination

No not that kind. Although you should do that.

A few days back now,  over at the wonderful The Duchy of Tradgardland,  Tradgardmastare posed a question for readers as to what their desert island hobby book, rules, and armies would be. 

You should go and read the comments on that thread and then come back - lot's of inspiration there.

Back? Good. 

 To my own surprise, my answers were nearly instant:

Asquith's Solo Wargaming - no offense to Featherstone's premier work on the topic, but I prefer Asquith's writing style, plus he includes several practical scenarios - even one programmed scenario!

G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. by Christopher Palmer and Buck Surdu. It's a game that seems to have fallen out of popularity since its heyday some years back, but a system I have always found enjoyable and incredibly flexible. Card based activation and a morale system that is less than serious leads to all manner of battlefield chaos, even if you aren't fighting Martian invaders or laser equipped dinosaurs.

For my armies, I chose my mostly Armies in Plastic 19th C. Russian and British forces, in large part because of the narrative freedom and possibilities a completely fictional conflict brings.

Progress on these 7 British figures stalled back in March. Time to get cracking. The Germans are not new paints - for some reason, the batch of Airfix knock-offs I got don't glue well to the wooden bases and they constantly pop off.

Given my answers were so immediate, I have to ask myself, why do I play so many WWII games with all manner of rules? 

And, perhaps more importantly, why am I lately drooling over Frontline French and Indian War figures for ultra-small skirmishes?

8 comments:

  1. You’re making me miss my thousand AIP figures I have packed! As for French and Indian Wars, I would recommend Fistful of Lead! They work wonderfully for small actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely what I was thinking, given the cost of the figures - maybe 4 or 5 figures per side. Of course, then again, surely even I who isn't much for painting most of the time could paint 10 figures total? Hmm, by that logic, I should do something with the AWI figures I have languishing!

      Delete
  2. I've never looked at G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T but laser armed dinos sound good..
    Even though a wargamer is very keen on one style of gaming, he/she is still a wargamer so MUST try multiple games/armies etc - it's in the DNA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I wonder if it's a natural predisposition or it's something that changes - a mutation perhaps - once one becomes involved in the hobby for any length of time.

      Delete
  3. The Armies in Plastic FIW figures in 54mm are very good for bulking out your armies https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2020/08/14/armies-in-plastic-54mm-woodland-indians-painted-and-out-in-the-wild/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at those often. It certainly would be much cheaper for me to pick up a set and paint half as French regulars and half as British regulars and call it a day. That would be more than ample figures for small skirmishes.

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I am working on the exact same British AIP colonials - the ones with a bolt action rifle. About halfway through 10, and then 20 pathans to paint up.

    The AIP FIW are very nice, btw. They are a different sculptor they acquired elsewhere. I have one set of each, and look forward to painting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the AiP figures generally speaking. I'm just not super excited about painting lately. Got started again last night, so we'll see how it goes!

      I may pick up a box of the AiP FIW regular infantry just to get a good look at them. I have one of the woodland Indian boxes and they are fantastic (so nice, I refuse to try and paint them).

      Delete