Monday, August 31, 2020

Division Squares: Simple WW2 Combat on a Square Grid (with a heavy dose of Morschauser)

As I mentioned in the prior post, I'm on my 6th iteration of my Morschaser division-ish on a grid toy soldier WWII rules.

Once I realized I needed more Morschauser (originally there was virtually none), the games really began to click.

A German recon battalion surveys the Soviet defenses.

Reading Neil Thomas's articles in Battlegames 22 and Battlegames 23 on writing rules helped a great deal. There was something bothering me about the combat system, but it was those articles that pointed out the problem; I was adjusting for cover both for combat and unit quality. It was an unnecessary layer of complexity.

I'm now using the same method to hit that I use in my Modified Morschauser Modern rules, 4/6 hits in the open, 6 hits units in cover.. However, here, saving rolls are made regardless of whether unit is in cover or not, and the results are based on unit quality, not on the presence of cover.

Per NT, if the unit has taken fire in cover and now need to save, the effect of the cover has already been negated. Modifying their saving roll/morale check gives a benefit/penalty for cover/being in the open twice.

I probably explained that poorly. 

All I know is the rules work well for my tastes - although they are no doubt incomplete, they give me an absorbing toy soldiery game and require little to no reference to the QRS (admittedly, I wrote them, so I may not be the best judge).

I have added a link on the right, although here it is in case you're on a mobile device.

You really only need the 1st page (the QRS) to play, the rest is self-indulgent rambling and some attempt at expounding on the various bits of the QRS.The rules are a living document and I reserve the right to update them as necessary for clarity or obfuscation.

Air rules are still missing. I have no plane models, so, for now,  would count them as a very limited artillery.

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. Succinct and to the point. I have read those articles you mention and they make a lot of sense regarding my thinking towards our games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I think there's a time to play complex games, mostly what I want is a simple game of toy soldiers that is easy to remember and where the result seems plausible. For complexity, and near constant rule book reference, I have hex-and-counter board war games!

      Delete
  2. Hey John,
    Looks great! Received my order of CTS tanks, another T34/85, Sherman and Pz4. I was slightly dissapointed in the Sherman because of it's size. Just looked too small compared to the T34. So I got out the tape measure and measured both the T34 and Sherman right to the mm. I discovered the T34 is actually about 1/36 scale and the Sherman about 1/39 scale. It looks really tiny next to the BMC Sherman, which is actually 1/30 scale and the BMC Tiger 2 is 1/35 scale.
    I know these are just toys and scale is loosely accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      That's interesting about the scale. CTS advertises them (on ebay or their site, I can't recall) as being 1/38 but I guess that's just the average. I don't believe they do the same for the half tracks - I've never checked the scale, but they do seem big.

      If I could afford it, and the models weren't so delicate I'd do Eastern front transports and tanks in 1:43, or better 1/50 Solido and similar die-cast. The former seems to only be available direct from Russia and the Ukraine and the latter costs a fortune in shipping to the US due to their weight.

      Delete
  3. Actually I remeasured and discovered the cts sherman is in fact 1/38 scale. Apparently there were slight differences in size depending on the variant. So it looks to be dead on for the M4A2 version which is what the model appears to be. My apologies for any confusion. My figures are mostly from TSSD so tend to be large 54s.

    ReplyDelete