Saturday, August 15, 2020

Operation Citadel Campaign Begins

Having pushed past the initial defensive lines, Grossdeutschland found itself within a few kilometers of Cherkasskoye. The 199th Guards Rifle Regiment stood in their way.

Grossdeutschland advances headlong into the Soviet center - now with the regimental AT battery. In the background, the beans represent mined grid spaces.

The Soviets demonstrated an iron will to fight and only yielded ground after several hours of fighting. Two AT batteries of the 67th Guards Rifle Division reinforced what remained of the 199th. Grossdeutschland's Panzer regiment attacked the village from the west, while the Pioneer battalion flanked the village to the East. The Germans were careful to avoid the mine fields between the defensive works and Cherkasskoye.

The Soviet HQ surveys the scene : it does not look promising .

GD Pioneers overrun the 199th's regimental mortar battery before making an assault on the AT battery in the village.

The GD Pioneers fought their way into the village where fierce close fighting with one of the AT batteries went unexpectedly wrong.

The Regimental HQ survives in the village, but for how long?

Heavy artillery called in by the 199th's FOO attached to the Regimental HQ scattered II/PzGrenadier GD. Bogged down during the initial contact, Grossdeutschland's drive to the village had been delayed and at a significant cost. Despite the presence of two Panzer battalions on the outskirts of Cherkasskoye,  III/PzGrenadier was still a kilometer from the village and at risk from increasingly dialed in artillery fire; Grossdeutschland had run out of momentum and soon would run out of daylight.

To their relief, from the East, the tell-tale rumble of tanks and armored half-tracks grew louder; reinforcements from 11th Panzer Division were arriving.

***

You're probably tired of seeing this table set up. Me too! I'm ready to try the next scenario.

So, Friday night I decided that I would play for the campaign points with the Morschauser-fied version of my battalion-per-base grid rules. I also modified some things for the scenario - like I decided to forgo 11th Panzer's arrival as part of the game and instead this is just about Grossdeutschland's effort.

The game ended after 14 turns, with both sides having reached their break point (the Soviets had reached theirs several turns before the assault on the village itself began). 

For this game, I tried out the rule that units could move or shoot but not both in the same  (with assault counting as movement). Because I'm tracking hit points per unit, the units last a bit longer and the initial break through took a little longer than hoped. More artillery fire and more combined attacks on a single target could help there.

Because the Soviets held the village at the end, they were awarded 2 points for the win. In addition 50% of German units were eliminated, which gives the Soviet 2 additional points, for a total of 4.

The Germans failed to take the village but they did eliminate just over 80% of the Soviet regiment, for a total of 4 points.

At the end of the first campaign game, the campaign is a tie at 4-4.

11 comments:

  1. It's interesting what a tweak to the rules can do, especially if it's removing the reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, foolishly, changed too many things to say for sure which of them led to the result (allowing units to either move or shoot in a turn certainly changed things for example). However, it felt right overall and I'm hoping to play the next scenario soon.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your adventures, Just ordered the CTS PV4, Sherman and T34/85 models for my Birthday. Already have their Tiger and T34. Looks like the Hanomag is scaled larger then the tanks.
    Only grip I have with the CTS vehicles is the brittle plastic they are made from, dropped my T34 on the concrete floor and cracked the front fender. Otherwise great looking models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I *believe* someone somewhere said the Hanomag is closer to 1/32. I don't know if that's true though. Brittle they are - I have a cracked fender PzIV and Sherman. And one of my Hanomags snapped off the front machine gun mount all too easily.

      Delete
    2. Have you ever considered incorporating aircraft rules? I was thinking about trying them out using the OHW rules (sorry to change the thread subject). And was also thinking maybe increasing the max number of units up to 8 or more. I use 1/48 scale aircraft(less of a foot print) with my 1/38 vehicles and 1/32 figures.

      Delete
    3. I have - simply as a way to justify buying some aircraft! Bob Cordery's Developing the Portable Wargame has a simple set of air rules that get get good reviews and I may just bolt them onto my rules. Pz8's Divison WW2 rules treat them basically like artillery but that takes away the fun of having the models on the table.

      For me, the hang up of writing my own is that I don't really have any understanding of air support save for scenes from a handful of movies, and once I incorporate air rules, I'm going to want to incorporate flak rules (so I can justify buying a flakpanzer).

      Delete
    4. Serious research for toy soldier battles should only consist of reading Commando war comics.

      Delete
  3. Toying (groan) with getting some more CTS here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would groan - but as a regular purveyor of "Dad jokes", I laughed instead.

      I have come back around to CTS tanks - mostly because I already have a three T-34/76's and 1:43/1:50 T-34/76's cost a small fortune. I've got a CTS PzIV, a Tiger, and a Panther in my shopping cart but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

      Delete
  4. I’ve got 4 Panzer IV’s and 4 Shermans. I thought these would be nice generic tanks for either of my matches armies. Do I need more? I have the table space but I want to build up my heavy weapons teams. I’m great for cannon though, through an arms build up of dozen Britain’s 25pdrs two BAT’s, a howitzer and three Dinky PAKks. Don’t ask why. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 4 a side is plenty unless you’re using two tanks per unit. I’m playing on my 3’ by 5’ kitchen table lately (And only using 3’ x 4’ at most) because I’m too lazy to get out the 4’ x 4’.

      Heavy weapons for my Soviets have been a pain - the mortars and ATR were easy enough to find thanks to the Supreme set, but my mgs are 1/35 kits and delicate (read: broken already). I am working on (well it’s been awhile) conversions for flame throwers. I just picked up two more Britain’s guns. I don’t have a plan for them yet - I just like them! I

      Delete