Thursday, September 2, 2021

Italy Acquires Machine Guns from England!

The Italian forces mobilized against the Austro-Hungarian Empire have received shipments of Vickers machine guns from their English allies.

The new guns, manufactured by the North Yorkshire firm of Irregular, are being distributed across the front to supplement the Italian-made Fiat-Revelli models which have been in short supply.

This is the Irregular Miniatures British HMG & 2 crew with Adrian helmeted heads from their Empire multi-part figures line.

My sloppy painting job aside, I am very happy with these models and plan to purchase at least one more set.

They are a touch smaller than I anticipated. While they match very well with the Waterloo 1815 Bersaglierri figures, like those, these are slight compared to Armies in Plastic. When you see the Austrian MG next to their AiP fellows, you will notice the difference.

It also means the heads from the multi-part figure line are less useful for swaps, at least with the AiP bodies.




12 comments:

  1. These have come up very nicely. The size difference really doesn’t matter lm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It doesn't matter for the MG crew compared to the AiP figures, but using the Irregular heads on AiP bodies would look like something out of Beeteljuice :D

      Delete
    2. Yes, horses for courses. Of course small heads on big bodies look like the poor guys had been captured by a witch doctor! I always check the size of the body before I transplant a head.

      However I do mix different size figures in wargames. A little difference can be a good thing, even in the same unit. However, the AIP French are especially big and so I tend to keep them in the same unit and smaller series in other units.

      Delete
  2. Stylish and proper shiny toy soldier style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there any other way to paint them?

      Delete
  3. I was surprised and disappointed at how big the AIP figures were when then came out in the 90's.

    Nice mg unit though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross! This is the first project where I'm mixing AiP with other plastics (mixing them with Britain's figures is amusing but I do it anyway because who can pass up those Britain's Cossacks?). I never really noticed how they are larger than even say, Airfix.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful piece John! They will look great with your Bersaglieri! And I think that your painting is fine, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! I can't wait to get them on the table!

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I have a 'relaxed' approach to scale so tend not to worry about mixing manufacturers. The AIP chaps are quite chunky - maybe they just got to the ration wagon first? If your MGs appear worryingly underscale you might think about putting them on thicker bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim! I don't mind mixing 1/35 and with my 1/32 and all that. I do it with my WW2 figures. And I think the Irregular figures look great together on their own stand and even mixed in a unit with AiP.

      The problem such as it is, is that I had hoped to use Irregular German gas mask heads on AiP WWI German / Austrian bodies - doing so would look like their heads were dried on high heat while the bodies were line dried :D

      However, I think the Irregular heads would work nicely on Airfix bodies and since I'm not a stickler for the correct kit on the figures, I think that's a promising conversion.

      Delete
  6. Gosh, these are quite excellent.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete