Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Austro-Hungary Responds to Italian Escalation!

Not to be outdone by the Italians, the Austro-Hungarian army has equipped its forces along the Southern Front with newly acquired machine guns of their own.

Astute readers will note that these are not the standard Schwarzlose but rather are models based on the German MG 08. 


Once again, this is a model available from Irregular Miniatures in their 54mm WWI line. The gas mask head is an option. I just like the way they look (for the same reason I have always liked the 1/72 Strelets WWI figures as they all have gas masks for all sides).

My "conversion" of the uniform to Austrian, besides the colors, was to simply paint over the boot upper as if it was a puttee. 

Assembling the MG took some effort, but then, assembling anything is not my strong suit (you should see me with Ikea furniture). I snapped one of the front support legs - thankfully it was only one, and it repaired easily with super glue. Attaching them at the correct angle nearly resulted in permanently gluing myself to the model. Twice.

In the end though, slapped over with paint and gloss, it looks the part.

I plan to buy one more MG team for each force again from Irregular eventually.  They are a great deal, even including shipping to the US, and they arrived quickly. However, I have more infantry to paint up in the meantime.

12 comments:

  1. Excellent looking model John! It looks perfect and your painting sets it off just right, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, I look forward to seeing it in action...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully I'll get them on the table soon.

      Delete
  3. YouTube Austrian clips from a 1994 film Radetzky March https://youtu.be/aE4rhi3qrFo

    And an Italian alpine WW1 film clip The Silent Mountain 2014
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dszlIAF5zfg&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! I have watched The Silent Mountain before (it was on Amazon Prime Video, might still be). I have not seen Radetzky March, I'll have to look that one up!

      Delete
  4. Gosh that’s lovely! The Irregular stuff is great but I have a real aversion to gluing metal. I’m tempted by the gas masks though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully you can order the gas mask heads from their multi part range without having to deal with the fiddly MGs if you don't want to. I need to dig up some Airfix spares to see if I can swap the heads in (I have two extras). I think the proportions would work. Whether I can drill out a hole big enough without destroying the body remains to be seen though.

      Delete
  5. This gun and crew are even more impressive than the last one. What a beauty!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James! It's a great set and I am so thankful Irregular makes them - the 1/35 sets I found for the Austrians look like young children in stature among the Armies in Plastic figures!

      Delete