Sunday, February 17, 2019

Atlanta Armor, Figure, and Modeling Contest and Exhibition Acquisitions

This weekend was the Atlanta Armor, Figure, and Modeling Contest and Exhibition. I went a few years ago and scored quite a bit of stuff, but last year at their new location, the vendor room seemed kind of empty, and I only came away with a single Deetail archer. Consequently, I set my expectations very low this year.

I was pleasantly surprised!


There were quite a few Osprey and similar books for sale for very reasonable prices (this one was $5) but I stopped myself from buying them as none of them were on my want list. This one wasn't either, but it's a topic I've been thinking about lately, so it was fortuitous.

The War Game is a book I've seen on Amazon and have always been curious about. For the price (I think it was $6), it was hard to pass up. The history of the battles featured is interesting, but I really enjoy the pictures of the games contained within - they capture a bygone era of wargaming in full color (the book was published in 1972).

Military Modeling was the one I was happiest to snag (another $6). I don't recall ever having read it and I know it's something of a classic. I like Featherstone's writing style, so even had it cost more, I would have nabbed it.

Here's a closeup of the figures I picked up:


The left three are from Conte. The two on the right are Super Deetail. I will be painting their berets, pants, boots, and webbing to match the Conte as close as I can. I picked up two in case I mess up the first one terribly.

They may not be 100% accurate as WWII paratroopers with PIATs but that's what they're going to be used as. This will give my British paras some anti-vehicle capability. I will get them on the table soon with the figures I already have, probably using One Hour Skirmish Wargames.

2 comments:

  1. Both good & useful books. No idea what happened to my copy of the Featherstone one, one of life's little mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had a copy of Battles with Model Soldiers that I am fairly certain fell into a localized worm hole.

      Delete