Friday, February 15, 2019

Mail call!

My birthday was about a week ago and my generous parents gifted me some money to treat myself.

I am leaning towards spending a bit of it on improving my table to my current aesthetic preferences (more on that agonizing process later) but a number of books called to me as well.

The first arrived today, The Portable Napoleonic Wargame by Bob Cordery:


There was a time in the distant past (nine years ago - wow) where I considered getting into Napoleonics, after reading some of the Sharpe books and watching some of the shows. I never pulled the trigger on figures - something didn't quite click for me. Even now, I have little interest in starting the period, except maybe at the level of of gaming in One Hour Skirmish Wargames to play Sharpe-like games.

However, I wanted to see how Mr. Cordery approached scaling his rules to handle representing different sized forces and although I've only skimmed the book briefly, it is exactly what I had hoped for in that regards.

As I consider how I might wargame WWI on the Southern Front, division or higher level games have crossed my mind and I think similar adjustments can be made for the PW rules covering later eras. I also think this book is a jumping off point to modifying PW to cover earlier Horse & Musket eras - in my case, I have a number of 1/72 Great Northern War Russians and Swedes languishing in a box,, that are far more likely to see the table with a low figure count rule set (I really don't like painting cavalry).

In the words of old timey smooth talking salespeople, this book would be a bargain at twice the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment