Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Non-English WWII Movies

I recently watched a spate (calling three a spate seems a bit of a stretch, I admit) of non-English WWII movies:

  • April 9th (Danish)
  • The King's Choice (Norwegian)
  • White Tiger  (Russian)
All three were enjoyable in their own ways.

The first two were intense and dramatic (April 9th is now my favorite WWII movie), as well as historical, while White Tiger was less so on the latter count, but still dramatic and also a good deal more "artsy" than I expected based on the little blurb provided by Amazon.

The King's Choice:



White Tiger (this trailer is somewhat misleading about the plot by the way):



I would love to hear your recommendations for non-English language WWII (or WWI movies for that matter) so I can build my "to watch" list.

5 comments:

  1. Stosstrup 1917 is good for an authentic ww1 atmosphere and combat scenes. Not foreign language but unusual is The Long Day's Dying, low budget and a flop but a good premise for a skirmish scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added both to my To Watch list. Thanks! Looks like Strostrupp 1917 is available for streaming via youtube and Amazon has The Long Day's Dying.

      Delete
  2. Not films but useful for a different perspective on WW1 https://awayfromthewesternfront.org/campaigns/

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a very good Danish film about a cyclist unit during the German invasion,sorry l can’t recall the name.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete