Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Not-Quite-a-PIAT

A little while ago, I picked up two Deetail British paratroopers firing an anti-tank weapon of some sort. While the gun is not an accurate representation of a PIAT (from what I can find on the Internet), it's close enough to suit my needs. However, the paint job on the figures left something to be desired - for one their berets were not red, which is kind of a biggie.

I did a very quick paint conversion on one of them the other night and while not perfect, I'm pretty happy with the result - it fits in well with my Conte and Britain figures.


It still needs a second coat of paint on the base and then a sealing with PVA.

For comparison:


This gives my British paratroopers some anti-vehicle capability for not much cost or effort (my favorite way of doing things).

4 comments:

  1. Hey John, looks good.
    I keep meaning to ask you what you how you handle mold lines.

    I have a bunch of AIP plastics, and so far I have been removing them with either a very sharp [new] X-acto blade and gently cutting along the line, OR, using a dremel with a sanding attachment - this works only at a shallow level and leaves some abrasion.

    I am thinking that I can use some watered-down PVA later to smooth out the rough spots or hide any mold lines I miss.

    Not looking for perfection here, BUT... I really can't leave the mold lines on the figures at this point. Maybe I just shouldn't care??

    Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Historically, I have had little success getting rid of mold lines especially on soft figures like the AiP, so for me the best method has generally been to just leave them. Of course, I sometimes still end up trying to use a blade to cut them away any way, but usually when I do, I end up damaging the figures (PVA helps to hide this sometimes).

      Recently, I've been using a heated X-acto blade applied to the mold line to melt it smooth and it seems to work pretty well with little risk of damage. An open flame (I use a lighter) applied to the mold line seems to melt it away as well, but leaves behind carbon deposits.

      Not sure that's super useful, but I hope it helps!

      Delete
  2. Thanks John - I have a bunch of free extra stray AIP figs, so I may give that a go [and hide any damage with PVA glue...].

    Keep in bein' inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Deetail British paratroopers are post WW2 figures so I'm guessing that the "piat" is actually a modern light atw of some sort :)

    ReplyDelete