Monday, April 8, 2019

The Dawns Here Are Quiet

It's become something of a habit for me to post whatever war related movie I most recently watched and so, here I am again. Please pardon my failure to give Midway it's due - I watched it last week but had no time to write, or rather I spent it doing other things. Today's feature, or more properly Sunday night's feature, was the 2015 extended 4-part version of The Dawns Here are Quiet.

I am aware of the 1972 movie, which is also available on Amazon Prime at this time. I chose this one because I liked the idea of it being in four parts, and I could watch just one part, as it was late on Sunday night.

As a word of advice for anyone considering following in my footsteps, starting a gripping four-part series late on a Sunday night is going to lead to a rough Monday. Each episode ended on a cliff hanger, and thus it was impossible that I not watch all of them. It would be like starting Game of Thrones now and thinking, "I'll just watch the first episode."

I have given you the benefit of my experience, but, of course, whether you heed my warning is up to you.


For those who like gaming small encounters, this movie offers a treasure trove of inspiration - being that it revolves around a handful of Soviets. Unlike, say The Pacific or Band of Brothers, these few are not just part of a larger group that the camera is focusing on, this is the entire group. Thus the encounters are of the kind of ripe for something like One Hour Skirmish Wargames or something like WW2 Operation Whitebox, an RPG set in WWII.

Unfortunately, a side-effect of watching this movie as a wargamer was suddenly being overcome by the need to field an all female Soviet squad in 54mm. The options, without doing some conversion, are few and far between (and mostly 1/35). For now, I'll stick with re-watching the movie.




3 comments:

  1. Speaking of Midway, did you see the original version, or the extended one? Unlike, say, Gettysburg, the additional footage does not fill in any important gaps, but it's still worthwhile watching. I'm not sure where you could get it, though--on Youtube maybe?

    Best regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the original. I did not even know there was an extended version until your comment. A bit of quick research suggests the extended version was for the television release and those scenes are included on the Collector's Edition DVD, although as an extras feature and not integrated into the film. I'll have to poke around some more!

      Thanks!

      - John

      Delete
  2. Great thinking, DVD folks--include the extra footage, but NOT as part of the movie?! Zeesh.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete