Monday, April 15, 2019

More boardgaming (no I have not forsaken my miniatures)

Last week, time to game was in short supply and by Friday night, I couldn't take it anymore. However, I didn't have any suitable scenario in mind for miniatures nor did I want to paint, so I broke out one of the only other hex-and-counter games I own, Worthington Games' Hold the Line.

There was a time when I thought for sure I'd paint up forces for the American War of Independence in 54mm. For awhile, almost every other title I listened to on Audible related to that war (plus I lived in Philadelphia for 13 years and it's hard to avoid the history there even if you want to. I used to ride my motorcycle through Valley Forge Park and for about two years, I lived just outside Germantown).  I purchased figures, primed and even painted some. Then I got Hold the Line and it scratched the itch, so that project stalled (stopped even). However, it's been at least two or three four years since I last played it (how did that happen?!?).

It's a fairly straight forward system, and feels very much like a miniatures rule set to my mind. Stacking is minimal - artillery and leaders can share a hex with another unit, but that's it - and there are no additional markers for statuses either. It's solitaire friendly, in that you have a random number of command points to spend each turn and so you can't just move everyone whenever you want. And of course, combat is dependent on a die roll. There are a number of optional rules as well, to up the complexity if desired - and I think they are quite useful additions, like making leaders have more of a role, improving artillery range when fired from a hilltop, that kind of thing.

I opted to start with the first scenario, which I've played at least once in the past, Long Island Heights, Sept. 16, 1776. The rebels have a specific setup, but the British do not, save for being limited to certain hexes. I probably set up the British poorly. To win the Americans must evacuate 7 units after turn 11 but before turn 22 or eliminate 6 British units or deny the British their victory conditions. For the British, they could win only by eliminating 7 American units by turn 22.

Maybe 6mm minis would work on this hex board?
You can see my British plan taking shape - to try and bash through the lower left and to swing the fast dragoons and light troops around behind the enemy on the right.

I decided that the American plan was simply to get the militia out of harm's way as fast as possible - they can only take two hits after all. And then, assuming the defense held, start evacuating as soon as possible.

I love the counters - they are thick and they make satisfying clink when you drop them in the box.

British light infantry and dragoons run down retreating militia.

These three units of Continental regulars threw a spanner into the British plans and refused to go down. They out fought the British handily - giving their fellows ample time to retreat to safety.

It came down to the wire but the Americans evacuated 7 units and won the game as a result - which is the historical result if not for the same reasons.
It will probably be obvious from the above picture that 1) I did not make good use of the commanders on either side and 2) the British get bogged down in fighting on their left and consequently a lot of their troops never saw action. The first was all my doing as I was re-familiarizing myself with the rules. The second was largely the result of poor dice rolling -both for command points and in combat. Especially in combat.


I am certain I could have done a better job for the British and I think a replay is in order - the whole game only takes about an hour - before I move on to the Harlem Heights scenario. The Americans will follow the same plan, but I'll have to rethink the British approach.

11 comments:

  1. I've considered getting the revised Hold the Line (with the 25mm plastic minis) or Richard Borg's Commands & Colors Tricorn (with blocks) for a while. Sounds like Hold the Line is more of a wargame and Tricorn more of a "battle game" (with familiar -- to me -- mechanics). I can see a command point mechanic offering more tactical freedom over C&C's somewhat more restrictive left/center/right card-based orders. Thanks for the interesting report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize they had done a revised edition. Guess I'm not the only one who thought it felt like a miniatures game!

      Delete
  2. Ah. I see they've done essentially what I was going to suggest, pick up some boxes of 1/72nd plastic AWI figures. 3 or 4 per unit would be enough. 10/12mm would work well. I rather like the look of the old Scruby ones that Historifigs sells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably due to how I paint, but I find 1/72 takes far longer than 54mm to paint. 15mm take the same as 1/72. However, by all accounts the Scruby's are fast to paint. Hmm....

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely not a speedy painter, but I inherited a load of Scruby's 9mm (actually more like 10-12mm) AWI figures, and got them finished in a very short time. They are rather "toy soldier"-like, with only basic detail, which is part of their charm, along with a low price, and ease of painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between you and Ross, y'all are killing me. As projects go this would be a very inexpensive one. More thinking required!

      Delete
  4. I have the rules downloaded, but unread, somewhere in my files.

    Would love to hear more about the mechanics next play out.

    Meanwhile, I have an unplayed C&C Tricorne I must get to soon! That's with "A Gentleman's War" and "Tin Soldiers in Action" awaiting some 54mm plastics action, also... I really need more time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely include more mechanics next time! I hope to play again soon.

      Both "A Gentleman's War" and "Tin Soldiers in Action" are on my want list. I feel like they are the kinds of books worth acquiring if only to support those who support this niche aspect of the hobby.

      Good luck finding more time! I've started putting my hobby time on my calendar to make sure I have some time each week to spend on it. So far it's working, not perfectly, but it helps.

      Delete
  5. PS can't believe you used to live right near me - I was in Chestnut Hill for a while and worked right next to the Chew House at Cliveden and Germantown Ave. I did a review of Decision Games' "Germantown 1777" and in part it was about the map being innacurate since I live in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it is helpful, Dale's Wargaming Blog has detailed reviews of TSIA. It is different from AGW in that it is trying to be a bit more "realistic" and it is a full level up in scale - a "unit" plays more like a brigade. That being said, there is an option to scale it down to a unit = a battalion, but it doesn't feel quite right. One expects more tactical play at that point.

    So if you want something that feels more like a company or battalion, I'd try AGW first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John,

    Some 7YW Scruby figures are shown here (the pictures aren't great, but they give an idea of what the figures look like): https://wargamehermit.blogspot.com/2019/04/rebasing-scruby-n-gauge-syw-figures.html

    Always ready to keep on killin' ya,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete