Friday, June 7, 2019

Company Fire: WWII Grid-Based War Games Rules for a Company per Side

The name isn't the most original, but then neither are the rules themselves - a Frankenstein's monster of mechanisms borrowed from other games and sewn together into a way that works for me.

I have gone ahead and shared a link over on the sidebar to the current copy of the rules. I'd link them here but then someone will find this post a year from now and it will no longer be valid - so the sidebar it is where it's easy to maintain.

The name is a handful now that I look at it and that they are a company-per-side may seem arbitrary, which, while it is, it also isn't.

Ambush!
And my that's a nasty mold line when viewed in close-up!
The rules will be updated as long as I continue to play them because inevitably, I will find things wrong with them, even after I think "Ah! Done!" Because as a war gamer, and a solo one at that, tweaking rules or even trashing them wholesale and starting again, is my birthright. There's also quite a lot missing - things that would normally be in a proper set of rules, like explanations of cover and line of sight. You're on your own there but I am aware that I have left them out at this time.

Before someone is disappointed by their absence, armor is not yet accounted for either. I am adding things as I run into them in my own games. In the near future, I'm likely to improvise armor when it makes an appearance due to a particular scenario's design and from there I may settle on something.

Or not.

For those who want to check these rules out please do. If you play them and have questions, I'll try to answer them based on what I was thinking when I wrote the particular rule at play. If play them and you think I've gotten something completely wrong, you are probably right and I'd love to hear your suggestion for fixing it.

Oh and one last thing, I didn't explicitly state it, but will in the next update, but you don't need any minis or terrain to play this; counters and a grid of some kind will suffice. Indeed, I played more than a few games just that way to try out various mechanisms when taking over the kitchen table wasn't an option.

4 comments:

  1. The rules look excellent. I must get around to trying them.
    Thanks for sharing all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am more than sure there is much missing, so my apologies if anything isn't clear.

      Delete