Wednesday, October 16, 2019

A brief detour to Philadelphia

I had really wanted to do more posts this month, but Friday, I took a trip up to Philly to meet up with some friends to go see a band I had only seen once before, in 1994 or 1995 and which broke up shortly after but which was reuniting to play a special show. Sunday, I flew back to Atlanta (boy, are my arms tired).

As a word of warning, if you don't care for travelogues, there's not much else in this post.

Of course, Philadelphia is full of history, but I lived there for 13+ years, nearly all if it in the city proper, and much of that, within a few blocks of some of the most historic sites, so taking pictures of them seems a bit unnecessary from my perspective. 

That said, the ubiquitous Independence Hall picture is a personal requirement.


This statue ("The Crier", I think is called), pictured below,  is often overlooked by tourists (it's just a statue in a small park/garden after all), and as a result it's a nice quiet spot where you can enjoy your Philly soft-pretzel and a Wawa coffee (as an aside, perhaps my tastes in coffee have changed, because Wawa coffee tastes pretty terrible to me now, but I still drank it because tradition).


The greatest candy in the world was invented as a ration bar for soldiers in WWI and was manufactured in Philadelphia for a long time (now it's made by a Bethlehem, PA company):  Goldenberg's Peanut Chews. Original dark is the only kind worth getting.

It has only recently made it's way to Atlanta at some convenience stores, as individually wrapped pieces, so by and large, I must eat my body weight in peanut chews whenever I visit Pennsylvania.

 

Finally, a picture of the omnipresent blue signage used by the city to denote historical locations and the personages who lived there. Why this one? No real reason other than I lived in this neighborhood when I first moved to Philly in 1996.


I've been home a few days but aside from sorting through my unpainted plastic pile - perhaps I'll ramble about this in a subsequent post - nothing gaming related has occurred. I look forward to getting some painting in tomorrow night however and possibly a game of some sort this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good trip. I look forward to your next game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully tonight or tomorrow night I can put something on the table.

      Cheers!

      Delete
    2. I can't even complain that you didn't swing by for a game since i was out of town from Fri-Sun with the Army.

      Used to live at 5th and Fitzwater, but now livein Glenside. Highlights of my years there include the barricaded gunman down the street that prevented me going and sleeping at home on night, the implosion of the towers by Settlement that scared me half to death one Sunday morning when I was asleep, and of course, watching the twin towers fall with my grandparents old color TV and its rabbit ears [I had never used it as a TV before, it was just for VHS tapes].

      However, I have been working on my plastics, and will post soon!

      Delete
    3. I don't know how I missed your reply. Next time I'm coming up that way, I'll let you know!

      A couple of my apartments weren'tl far from 5th and Fitzwater! One was at 4th and South and another at 6th and Catherine.

      Watching your plastic posts with interest!

      Delete