Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Play Testing + October Plans

It doesn't look like much, but the picture below is a demonstration of one way I play test without going through the trouble of setting up a full table.

Two platoons of Germans assault a Soviet MG position, variously treated as cover and really really hard cover, i.e. a pillbox, across open ground.
In the above picture, I'm checking the relative weight of an MG vs infantry stands (in this case a single infantry figure represents a squad/section for the sake of testing). It was pointed out to me that in G Company, the MGs might be worth at least two infantry stands for designing your own scenarios. As I had been relying on someone else's fairly balanced scenarios, this issue hadn't happened on my table.

Because I didn't get out my cloth and terrain, and used figures at hand (the Germans were right there on the painting table), setup time was minimal and I could leave it setup because this small grid barely takes up any space on my desk, as opposed to taking up most of the kitchen table.

Admittedly, the squares were cramped and fitting two squads and a PL into one square required a stretch of the imagination - I could have used paper counters just as easily, but I wanted to see what using a single figure for a squad felt like. In any case, I was able to play more than a dozen games in order to see how things might work out and was also able to try different variations (adding a second MG, adding an MG to the attacker, etc.).

Expect to see the both sets of rules updated and available for download by the end of October.

Speaking of...

Plans for October:
  • Finish painting those eight Germans in the above picture.
  • Tweak, test, and make available the next version of G Company and Company Fire (I am considering combining them into a single document containing both rule sets, rather than pointing players of G Company to see Company Fire for terrain rules, for example. If you have strong feelings either way, please let me know!)
  • Since Halloween is this month, watch some weird WWII movies - you know, the kind where there are supernatural elements inserted into the WWII era. Usually these take the form of some kind of Nazi occult experiment.


5 comments:

  1. Ingenious! I am also finishing some Germans although mor focused on the Italian front. On the topic of rules, personally I like the least page turning possible. I just feel it speeds up the game and makes it easier to teach new players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Reese. That's a good point about page turning. Maybe the parts that are in common can be modularized so one only needs to download the bits + the rule set of choice? Just brainstorming here. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. They're short, so keep them seperate. It is something like work to have to sift thru rules / charts / exceptions while playing. While it is OK to have a master set of rules for a system, e.g. Decision Games "Musket & Saber" rules, it is best to have what a game needs all in one place without something else living alongside it. IMHO.

    And it sure does take a dozen playtests of a system sometimes. The OHW rules were marvelous for that. Sometimes I'd play 3-5 times in one night, starting again as soon as I realized I had bolluxed something up and trying again immediately.

    BTW, when are we going to see some more OHSW? I think your 54mm WWII would look great for that system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! I think I have come around to the idea that there may be some duplication between the two rule sets, but that's not really a problem if it makes things easier when playing.

      Funny you should mention OHSW. I have been thinking a lot lately about playing the example campaign given in the book, where Germans have to escape the Soviets. I've also been itching to get my Britains/K&C British paratroopers on the table again, and that collection is well suited for OHSW, given I only have a handful of figures.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Do it!
    I have been eyeing some of my son's toy WWII guys that he got. They are an interesting mix of US, German, British and Japanese. Also, they are a bit harder plastic and I bet will be easier to work with than the softer AIP ones [altho there aren't any WWII].

    I think they'd work well for N. Africa and of course Guadalcanal!

    ReplyDelete