Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Figures on the table!

Peter S. was kind enough to provide me with additional feedback for the latest update of G Company (you can read his comment here). As part of that, he shared a great historically-based scenario for a British raid of a German radar station, which is absolutely worth checking out. There's a good bit of open ground for the British to deal with, so, at least given the present state of the rules, be warned that if you try it, it might get a bit bloody for them.

Inspired by his scenario, and with ample time during jury duty yesterday to sketch it out, I decided to finally get a historically-based scenario on the table that I've had in mind for some time. It is based on the section "Company G operates in Deep Snow (January 1942)" from Small Unit Actions During the German Campaign in Russia. (also, for those keeping score, this is where the idea for the name 'G Company' came from).

The scenario needs some tweaking, so I'll wait to post the full details. Suffice it to say, it's intended to play solitaire, with many of the decisions for the Soviets coming from die rolls, inspired by the print-n-play game, Sink the Bismark.(the link is to Boardgame Geek, but there is a link there to the site where you can get the download).

However, here are some screen shots from the game (please note, there's heavy snow on the ground):

A platoon from Company G sets up behind their snow defenses in front of Village M, along with an HMG, 81mm mortar, and ATG.

The Soviet hordes burst forth from the forest

The first wave struggles through the snow and is shot up well before they can get anywhere.

The second wave races toward the German line (I was playing with movement rates).
The Soviets roll up the German right flank.

8 comments:

  1. Nice looking game as always! Have you tried letting dice determine move rates? For the "computer" controled side, I have found it adds some interesting twists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Reese! 1/2 movement was too slow (they got shot to pieces), full was too fast (the crossed the open ground with ease), so I think you may be spot on with variable movement rate. Hopefully, I'll have some time to play test it further soon.

      Cheers!
      -John

      Delete
  2. Interesting. This Bruneval Biting Raid is well covered in this recent book https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2019/02/28/churchills-last-wartime-secret-the-1943-german-raid-airbrushed-from-history-book-review/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like a fascinating book.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Cheers!

      - John

      Delete
  3. My main source on Bruneval was Osprey's latest entry in its "Raid" series on the subject. I can't argue with lots of pretty photos and maps.

    I'll have to check out Sink the Bismark for its influence on solo play; usually I just play both sides as objectively as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say Sink the Bismark is particularly innovative in handling the non-player side, but it is one of the first places I recall encountered that particular mechanic- odd because I subscribe to Lone Warrior - of dicing for the non-player side's direction, on a grid. (I started wargaming in 2006-ish and came across that game in 2011).

      It's not a deep game if I recall, but I played it quite a bit on short breaks at work at the time - it was better than hanging out in the break room drinking poorly made coffee.

      Cheers!

      - John

      Delete
  4. I am a fan of variable movement rates. Toss in variable activations and you usually have more than enough friction for a typical wargame.

    Most choices for the "computer side" in a solo game come down to 2, perhaps 3 choices. These can be diced off, or you can use three cards [A, 2, 3 perhaps]. Same applies for setup - there's usually only a couple of places to put the ATGs, so use a card or dice off. Personally, for that I like a dummy counter / card, so Ace is the real unit, 2 & 3 are the dummies.

    But yes, one has to try and play the OPFOR as diligently as possible.

    I'm glad I got a batrep in one OHSW, I feel like I cam keep up with John, almost, but he's been soooo productive lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The variable movement rate made a big improvement in my most recent play tests of the scenario (which is more like a game that uses my rules for resolution, but would probably work with other rules just as well). I think it does a good job of simulating the impact of snowy ground on movement, or at least my perceptions of it.

      Since the Soviet troops are a swarm in this scenario and have the goal of overrunning the German position, their movement choices are indeed fairly limited - so the Sink the Bismark distribution of move left/center/right works pretty well. I also took away their ability to retreat to avoid elimination. The political officers are assumed to present to prevent such cowardice in the face of the enemy.

      I'm playing around with ATG placement now - ideally they can shoot as long as possible without being blocked by their own troops, so random doesn't quite work as well (placing on the flanks seems to work nicely).

      And any appearance of productivity is completely an illusion, I assure you!

      Delete