Thursday, October 31, 2019

Soviet Maxim Team No. 2 and a Conversion

Let's start with the first part (always a good choice).

The second Zvezda MG team is complete and on their base. If you look carefully you will still see the blue tint to the air that resulted from this exercise.


The hard part was getting both of their hands onto the gun's handle, without raising the MG in the air. The end result is that they appear to be holding hands from certain angles. I'm quite alright with that, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intention and that I botched the arm attachment.

Here's another view because I'm pleased as punch with the outcome:


Speaking of arm attachment. I rapidly went from "what happens if I try to use heat to bend this figure's arm" to "better lop that melted mess off with an X-acto and find a replacement":
The donor was already missing a hand - he came that way - and so I figured he was the best donor candidate. I also have like 10 of the grenade throwers, most of whom I have no other plans for.

I consider this a proof of concept for a "leader" figure - a company commander, for example, in my G Company or Company Fire - that doesn't look exactly like the figure I painted for the Commissar. I mean it really doesn't matter, but if they're going to be standing side-by-side, I thought it was too uniform and besides this is my first "big"-ish conversion attempt (i.e not hacking off a gun or a paint conversion).

The arm is presently held in place with blu-tac, just to prove to myself that it will work.

I will drill and pin it, and then fill in the gaps (probably) with green stuff before hacking off some of the excess bits that resulted from my previous hacking. 

6 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing him finished, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work all around. The grenade arm on the officer is a nice touch for customization. It may just be the angle but you might like the effect if you take just a sliver more off the shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross! You are definitely right - the shoulder is a bit off. I couldn't place what was bothering me about it and I think that's it!

      Delete
  3. The MG boys look beaut, but your comments are another reminder of why I prefer moulded figures to any form of kit!
    Excellent conversion. Pity about the heat treatment! it's a fine line isn't it? I've tried a few times to remove excess flashing from 1/72 figs with a heated pin. At best 50:50 so it's back to a really sharp blade or live with it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James! Indeed, if I could find moulded 1/32 (or even 1/35) maxim teams in plastic I'd use those instead. Irregular makes such a thing in metal, but shipping to the states makes them a less affordable option than the 1/35 kits - the Zvezda kit is particularly a good deal as it includes two teams/guns.

      I have tried to remove mold lines or the plastic fuzzies from scraping the lines with a knife too vigorously, using a lighter, and when it works it works great, but when it doesn't, it's best not described.

      Delete
    2. "...but when it doesn't, it's best not described"--beautifully and aptly put!!

      Delete