Friday, October 18, 2019

Plastic Medieval Russian Flats

If you haven't seen this post on the estimable The Duchy of Tradgardland, you should go there first.

In the comments, I mentioned I had some medieval chaps of the same Russian-made sort, but featuring Teutonic knights and Russian knights. As there's no easy way to share pictures in comments, here we are.

Before continuing, I feel I should acknowledge that I suppose it's possible the Teutonic knights are in fact, Livonian, but that's neither here nor there.

I acquired a few packs of these several years ago and other than a few test paint jobs, which I never completed, they have languished, save for a few undocumented games of Songs of Blades & Heroes. Neither force is large enough presently for much else.

Without further ado:


The two armies.
The only painted figures of the bunch.
The Teutonic knights

The Russian knights.
There is a lot of action in these poses despite being flats (or are they semi-flats?) and I think they make quite a nice visual display, even in their Christmas-colored underwear.

The figures are a very hard plastic, have no flash, and quite minimal mold lines. Only the injection point serves to blemish them.

I was unable to find identical sets for sale currently, but there are similar sets floating about.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely figures,thanks for posting this. There are indeed similar ones about and l am tempted to get some sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Such nice figures, I really need to do something with them one of these days.

      Delete
  2. Alexander Nevsky vs Teutonic knights are what come to my mind.

    I'm not going to get into Russian medieval semi-flats...but I could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that might even be how these were marketed on eBay when I bought them (Alexander Nevsky vs Teutonic knights that is).

      I picked them up on whim with no particular use in mind. I haven't the heatt to let them go as I am convinced they are part of my "no, really, some day I WILL paint these" pile.

      Delete
    2. I've had a few figures that waited 40 years or more until they finally got painted.

      Delete
  3. John,
    You could probably play a Portable Medieval game. I'll send you a report of a Portable Ancients game (essentially the same rules) which involved only 6 units per side.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the report, Chris! That’s not a bad idea - small squares and just 2 figures per base might work.

      Delete
  4. Great paintwork on the ones' you've done to date John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really should paint more - might be a pleasant change of pace from khaki, olive drab, and feldgrau.

      Delete