Sunday, October 6, 2019

Weekend Update

Is there anything more terrifyingly tedious than rebasing?

I'm sure somewhere in the not distant past I said something to the effect that I had finally decided on magnets and sheet metal as my be-all-end-all basing. What I meant to say, was that it I was having a moment of temporary insanity and that thinking I had decided on basing was just a sign that I was delusional.

Well now I really have decided*.

And so, Saturday night, I spent a lot longer than I thought it would take rebasing my WWII Soviet infantry - which involved the usual prying them from their existing base, cutting out new unit bases from mat board, gluing the figures down and then painting the figure bases and mat board.


Six units of infantry, 3 leader types and a commissar.
The German infantry have been glued to their new mat board unit bases, but painting of the bases is on hold until I can get a suitable block of time. Heavy weapons and LMG teams for both sides will come after that.

The motivation for the rebasing came from a review of my 54mm WWII collections, and deciding to dedicate different figures to different types of games.

The painted plastic Germans and Soviets will be based as per the photo above,  for rules where a base is a section or platoon. I may or may not base my painted plastic US WWII figures this way. My Britains / Conte metal figures ( US / British paras / SS ) will be used for Mediterranean and NW Europe 1:1 small skirmishes with a squad or less per side while my unpainted plastic TSSD Germans and Soviets will cover the same on the Eastern Front and mostly in the winter (as they are clad in winter gear).

Friday was rather productive and less tedious - I updated Company G with some clarifying details and a QRS. The updates aren't live yet - there's a few more things I need to do - but I'll announce when they are available.

I also worked on what will be the last batch of German infantry for awhile but then I randomly decided to finish up this birdhouse church that I have had forever and had never gotten past basic black primer.

Toy soldier-y church
I''m rather happy with the result - nothing fancy, but effective.

The blue-grey roof / grey door / white walled color scheme was taken from a Russian Orthodox village church image that I found online. At least that's the search I entered into Google.

Monday will bring more work on the rules and possibly a little painting if I'm lucky.

*Not a guarantee.

10 comments:

  1. The Russian Orthodox church works well, it looks very much like the ones we have here in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian! I'm curious now where the church I looked at was located. I'll have to dig up the picture again.

      Delete
  2. Keep up the good work! I love creative terrain as you have seen in my recent campaign. Never thought to use a birdhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reese! I'm lazy and birdhouses provide nice, inexpensive, ready made structures. They're also durable and given my preference to toss everything into a box when I'm done with a game, it suits me well.

      Delete
  3. Inasmuch as I, too, am a chronic re-baser, I long ago decided to use only white glue whenever possible, inasmuch as simply putting the figure in water will melt the glue and allow him to be put on something else I will undoubtedly tire of and rebase again. Obviously this won;'t work if card, carboard, etc. was used--although if you don't want the old bases anymore, the water will at least enable you to use the figure more quickly and easily.

    Best regards,

    Chris J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      Thank you for the comment. I tend to use white glue myself, which makes the struggle less frustrating. For my Britains and Deetail figures I use Blue-Tac since I don't want to risk ruining the bases with glue. The only problem is sometimes getting the last bit of tac off of the bases if it's gotten into a crevice.

      Cheers!

      - John

      Delete
  4. The Sovs look good. I have long used PVA for basing as it facilitates changes of mind. The church is a triumph - the souls of the inhabitants of Toytown are clearly safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the model Church John - it would work well for a number of periods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is definitely my plan to use it for multiple periods. When scenery takes up as much space as this stuff does, it's the best way to justify it.

      Delete