Saturday, November 16, 2019

A Wee Play Test

I set up a small(both in space and scale of figures, 1/72)  test game on my kitchen table last night to try a few things rules-wise for G Company: two platoons of USMC attacking a Japanese platoon with MG support.

The Japanese MG and their PL.
Two squads and PL of one USMC platoon.


 "Terrain" was haphazardly dropped onto the grid and in the end, it totally looks like it, but despite this, the games were very enjoyable (I had time to play four times) - and for some reason the Japanese always rolled well in close combat, as if they were channeling their historical counter parts.

The same USMC squads advance cautiously to close with the enemy  (Japanese unit in background is disordered and MG doesn't have LOS)
Scene from the middle of one game, where nearly everyone was disordered. Terran looking like it literally fell into place Which it pretty much did.
No quarter asked, no quarter given.
I decided that:
1) I am satisfied with the current turn sequence (as available in the sidebar) and that my other ideas, while they could be made to work, added nothing for my tastes.
2) That said, adding an opportunity fire phase for "Side A" at the end of the turn added some interesting decisions with minima record keeping issues and will be part of the next update.
3) Close combat might be too brutal.
4) I missed these 1/72 figures- it's been a long time since they've been out (almost inspired to paint up the USMC troop additions I picked up 6 or 7 years ago and primed but never painted). If you look too closely, they look to have fuzzy plastic bits, and that's because I had no idea what I was doing when I was trying to remove mold lines back then (I still barely have any idea).
5) These figures probably need some refurbishing.

12 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff.
    All seems to work well - good to see the 1/72 out again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I expect I'll have them on the table again before too long - it wasn't exactly nostalgic, but it was nice seeing "old friends" as it were.

      Delete
    2. Certainly, I'd be using the rules with 1/72 and old Squad Leader scenarios. I might make a slight amendment for heavy guns in case there is a tank or two, but I can see the point of making heavier vehicles better armoured as opposed to upgunning.
      I think the rules suit SL admirably, as SL is an infantry game with the odd vehicle as opposed to vice versa.

      Delete
    3. I've been looking at the ASLSK 1 scenarios, thinking they might work - as they are infantry only (tanks aren't introduced until kit 3, which I don't have). With or without armor, I have to admit that 1/72 definitely has the advantage there, given the number of grid spaces required (I imagine SL scenarios cover a similar map area) - although I still intend to make use of them with the big guys by focusing on a portion of the map.

      My armor rules are questionable at best and could use some adjustment to be sure. They were bolted on to support my playing a particular scenario and are not based on any particularly deep understanding of armor in combat (not that I have any particular understanding of infantry combat either, but I have watched and read more about that, and played other rule sets, and so have certain expectations). I really need to play some scenarios with a tank or two on the table.

      Delete
  2. I was wracking my brain trying to ID these 54mm toy soldiers, they just didn't seem to match anything I remembered. 1/72! Of course. Couldn't tell by looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have lead off with their scale! In any case, now that you mention it, I can't recall who made these. Time to head to plasticsoliderreview.com

      Delete
    2. I think the marines are old Revell 1/72. I only know that as I have a few boxes of 'em that haven't got painted yet.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Duc de Gobin - that is definitely them!

      Delete
  3. Were the troops all rated as ‘veteran’ on account of their age? Nice looking game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! They should have been - might of had an easier job of achieving their objective. Thanks!

      Delete