Saturday, November 23, 2019

Thanksgiving SoloCon Plans

As I noted the other day, I am planning to do something of a "Thanksgiving SoloCon" this year - a multi-day event where I play as many games as I can fit in between sleeping in late and watching too many movies.

Like any good convention, I need a schedule of events of some sort, but as this is a solo gaming convention, I have latitude with start and end times or even if any particular idea makes it to the table at all.

That said, a plan is helpful if only to prevent option paralysis in the moment.

So here are some of the ideas I have and any notes I have made to jog my memory when I'm stuffed to the gills with pumpkin pie.

54mm Medieval with One Hour Wargames -  Ideally, I'll play a 5-game mini-campaign of OHW scenarios. I  have worked up a very thin backstory for imagi-nations on the island continent of Tempus, and the on-going war between the armies of Sol, King of Dies, and Luna, Empress of Nox, in order to provide some context and also add some fun to the write-ups. Whether I play one game or five, this will be an on-going thing. I have already been searching ebay for figures I consider suitable for Sol, Luna,and their vassals.




The Gatling glossed and ready to go.

54mm Colonial / Imagi-nations: Provided the Gatling crew is completed, and they should be,  I'll return to Firefly Church (I don't have enough units to pull off Hook's Farm in the entirety) with a small skirmish between Ginland and Vodkia forces. Rules will be In Good Company -but rather than removing fallen figures to the hospital they will stay in place, as in OHSW, to recover or not. If their unit has moved on, they will have to catch up.

ASLSK Scenario S2 - War of the Rats. My ASLSK posts probably aren't why you are reading this blog- after all the blog title implies figure games and ASLSK is just counters - but  I am really enjoying the game ,possibly because of, not despite, the heavy cognitive load (for me) it imposes.


ASLSK #2 - acquired before I'm ready to even crack into it because these boxes have a tendency to go out of print, and I've been seeing the prices rise. In the background, you can see my 18-year old fur baby, Pumpkin.
But, of course, who would I be if I didn't play some 54mm WW2?

With ASLSK scratching the complexity itch, and with ASLSK and my own rules handling squad-per-base games, I have a desire to play something simple and at a higher level, and there is no better way I can think of than Morschauser's Modern rules (true, I do have some amendments I want to try). As I figure it, Morschauser's rules are a platoon per base, and that makes them perfect for playing a One Hour Wargame scenario (which I have used them for, many times in the past) or even a conversion of something from Flames of War or IABSM.

Likely, but dependent on time, I  have it in mind to play The River again, with G Company, but on an 8x8 grid (play test games "online" showed the extra squares made for a different challenge), and either The Hill or, if I can get enough simple ruins together, The Village, with Company Fire, again in 8x8.

Finally, I'll break out One Hour Skirmish Wargames using my unpainted Toy Soldiers of San Diego winter Germans and Soviets.

The wild card of the 3-day-ish extravaganza is a return to The Library Book (The Quests of Brin the Barbarian rules). It really depends on whether or not I feel the story is served by the big bad being one of the few existing painted 28mm figures I haven't already fielded or if I feel the need to paint up something new to wrap up their quest into the goblin cave.

So, obviously quite a lot there, but 3 days and 3 nights to work with and my only responsibility is to feed the dog and cats. Worst case scenario, anything I don't get to will make its way to the table during one of my regular gaming sessions - and as a backup, I have two weeks off at Christmas this year by some miracle (actually no miracle, I just never take time off and have a lot saved and will lose it soon if I don't take it).

2 comments:

  1. How very organized you are! Alas, I will actually lose gaming impetus due to traveling out of town to family, but perhaps a 3-day break will refresh me. Funny, friend and I were talking about SL yesterday. I consider it too much like work except with very limited forces - not that small forces are a bad thing.

    What's The Library Book / Brin the Barbarian again?

    I will look forward most to the OHSW fight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any semblance of organization is purely accidental I assure you!

      The Quests of Brin the Barbarian is a wonderful old school style fantasy ruleset from Maudlin Jack Tarr: https://pampersandp.blogspot.com/p/the-quests-of-brin-barbarian.html

      The Library Book is a series of games I played connected by the thin plot of a sorcerer returning a very overdue book to a distant library.

      I hope you enjoy your trip to visit family!

      Delete